How far along with leash training are you ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How far along with leash training are you ?

Karma is now 10 months old and I have been spending many afternoons over the last few months training her on leash . Just lots of repetitive exercises . I started walking her around the house and then in and out of the house and then out the gate and around the truck , up in to the back of it , down , stay , sit up , out ,walk . I used the method of stopping dead in my tracks and waiting for 10 second count before heading off again to get karma to walk on a heel . She learnt very quickly and I then moved to a quick snap on the leash and an "uh uh WITH ME " . I have also always stoPped her at every kerb crossing with a crisp "stop" and "sit/wait". We spent many afternoons criss crossing empty streets and doing the stop/wait .all of this is done with a clicker and hot dog bits .

Yesterday I took karma for a long walk down the busiest main road in phnom penh . Traffic was out of control . Horns blaring . No proper footpaths means we are walking in and out of parked cars and motorscooters and TUK tuks whizzing past . Kids trying to rile her up , mongrel dogs barking and snaPping . Its bloody mayhem on the streets . And there is karma by my side . Walking perfectly with no leash tension and obeying all her commands . We have to cross the road at one stage and only make it halfway so I sit / stay her and she holds it perfectly as the traffic flies by . Of course now I have her by the collar jusT in case!

Eventually we arrive home and I am sweating like a lumberjack so we put the tailgate of the truck down and enjoy a beer or three together as the sun sets crimson at the end of the street . I shower her with praise and hugs and just marvel at the way she is turning out . These dogs are seriously the best breed on the planet hands down .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Good Karma! Must be all that training Grace is doing!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

That is impressive! We leash train Havs at a fancy outdoors mall. I think the merchants are more used to purse dogs than 4 mth ol GSDs. I can't imagine the crowds and traffic in phnom penh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

nice training. i think any dog, any breed should be trained.
i like training a dog to heel on either side with
or without a leash. i also like teaching the command
"other side". no matter what side the dog is heeling
on if you say "other side" the dog switches sides on leash
or without a leash.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Knighted Member

Zoe is great except for her first few moments when the leash is put on....she is hilarious. She whines and moans with excitement, wags her tail so hard her whole body shakes, and is a complete mess until we step outside- then she is an angel,lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I must start on "other side". It is something i did not really think about until yesterday. Most times I take Karma to a section of the city that is under devlopment and not much traffic at all but plenty of streets and kerns etc. The last couple of weeks have been out in hardcore traffic situations and due to the nature of the (lack of ) any rule here, you need eyes in the back of your head. People cut corners, use footpaths,travel the wrong way , park their cars up/on/in/around/over everything in site. I am constantly changing course so yeah....the "other side" would be gold and would really complete Karma's on leash abilities.

Tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Master Member

Lets see.
Dakota is 7 years old, hip dysplasia, arthritis, and sedatives due to epilepsy. However, in the beginning of his walk he pulls unless you go his speed. This lasts maybe 5-10 minutes depending on the day. This is fabulous compared to how he was when he was 2 without the sedatives. By the end of the walk, he is behind you and you are saying come on lets go every 3 seconds to encourage him. I wish I could say he walks so well because our efforts to control him worked, but sadly, it never worked with him, but we are able to walk him easily now due to his health conditions : /

Daisy, nearing 2 years old, couldnt walk nicely on a leash to save her life... well thats not 100% true, but its bad. She has to be ahead of the other dogs or she never stops pulling, and I mean pulling hard ( I still dont know how a 46lb dog can pull so hard) However, usually if we stay about 1 foot ahead of the other dogs, she stops pulling as much by about 20 minutes in, but still pulls way too much. She stops to turn to look at the other ones and then takes off fast, ripping my arm practically out of the socket. There have been many times that by the 20 minute mark I cant feel my hand because the circulation has been cut off ( i have an intense fear of her pulling free.) I have tried making her walk behind the other dogs, stopping each time she pulls- all that we accomplished was that we finished 30mins later than the pack, she never stopped pulling, my arm really hurt, and she was irritated. I also tried to go slower the more she pulled so she would see she wouldnt get what she wanted. All that happened was that we finished later, she couldnt make it home due to exhaustion (too much pulling), and I had to carry her home (thats a sight.) So now I stick to the ahead of the pack tactic, and I will admit she has improved some.

Ditto walks very well on a leash with me, not with my mom or my brother. However, with her pack she is worse ( she also wants to be ahead, but not as much as daisy) but relatively easily controllable ( she heels when i put my finger under her collar, she isnt happy about it though) However, I would not be comfortable to walk through crowds with her yet, as she loves people (a bit too much) and would be extremely tempted to jump on them. But I take her to my local festival and sit down and let people come up to us as they will. She loves it. I find that when I am sitting and have her sit she behaves better than when she is walking.

So leash training... not a strong area for us.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Knighted Member

Wow, a job well done. You should definitely be proud of yourself and Karma!

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
So leash training... not a strong area for us.

Thank you! I feel better now. Leash training has been really hard for us too. I've been letting Niko run with me off leash all winter, but now that it will (hopefully) be warming up and all the critters will be back out running around the woods, I'll have to get him used to running with me on leash again. He's a wee bit faster than me

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

Stosh heels to either side but still goes to the left first unless I tell him 'other side'. What worked for me was getting a rather thin leather lead so I could hold it all in my left hand when he's on the left, and right hand when he's on the right. I'd hold it rather short so he couldn't cross over. When I started having him on the right I'd also hold a string cheese in that hand as a lure and let him nibble on it as we walked. When you hold the lead in the hand of the side you want Karma on, practice switching back and forth so she catches on that it's ok to move from side to side. You can convince her to switch by walking towards something like a tree or your truck so that she has to go to the other side and give her the command. She's a smart girl, she'll catch on soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page