Taking for obedience training classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Taking for obedience training classes

I'm from Sri Lanka, here we do not have many dog training courses as such, still i have 3 options available. One is boarding my puppy at the police academy and getting him a training there, the next one is getting a trainer home and get the dog trained. The final option is taking him to a class organized by the Sri Lanka kennel club and get him trained there. The kennel club is offering something called basic citizenship training for a citizenship companion dog.

My question is, which of these 3 methods is most recommended and what does citizenship companion dog mean?

Its a lot of money, what ever the method i choose. So i want to choose well. please help me out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Corby 30th December 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

Depending on the style of training, I would go with 1st the kennel club, or 2nd, the private trainer. I don't know if the citizenship test in your country is the same as here in the US, but here it's basically teaching the dog good public manners. Hopefully someone with more experience can explain it better, or you can do a Google search for "Canine Good Citizen Test".

I don't like the boarding for training option because I feel like the owner of the dog should be the one doing the training. Can you go to the kennel club and observe a class or two? That way you can get a feel for the teaching style to know if it aligns with your own philosophy of how you like your dog to be trained.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with good karma, though having seen dogs with my trainer that are board and train, I think it's a great option for the right situation or someone looking to put solid training on their dog and has time for upkeep training but not the day to day initial foundation training.

However, not knowing anything about the PD that trains the dogs, it's hard to really recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

I think the Sri Lanka kennel club is an excellent place to start.

You will also meet a lot of new people which whom you will have something in common.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...i was wondering what the good citizen training meant...which is basically primary training. The only thing is i can't go and observe prior...Since this is the only class of this kind in Sri Lanka (group class for many members) the registration closes really fast...there are loads of people who want the training while only 30 spots available. So i will have to pay money now and then join. Hopefully its money well spend.

Corby already knows his basic commands...but i'm no expert, so getting some expert help on how to actually train my dog may be useful? or will he teach me the same stuff which i already know?

Corby 30th December 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page