No Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

No Drive

I have a question for you guys. How do you train a dog that has ZERO drive? I mean he does have a super minimal food drive but even that is short of motivation for him. The backstory on this dog is not well known. I have had him for a week and a half he spent a few months in a shelter and about a month in a kennel at a rescue and is now about a year old. Am I expecting too much for him to have toy, food, or any other type of drive already? He does play with his kong every once in a while but even that is for maybe 5 minutes. He loves our Whippet and will play with her relentlessly and play with my moms Dane for a long time but other than playing with other dogs he just wants to sleep. I was nuetered about 3 weeks ago but I dont know what he was like before that. Anyone had a dog like this that they were able to get going if so how? Any of the more experienced people on here have any ideas? I love the dog and he is great with my kids so he has a home either way I was just hoping to do some tracking and maybe protection with him.

Sorry if that is a rambling wall-o-text it I just wanted to make sure I included everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Some dogs just don't have it. If he does you may can pull it out of him. But if he don't, then he don't, there is now way you can force him.

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Let him settle in and get over the neuter.
Work on your bond in the meantime.
His true personality won't show til you've had him for a few months.
For building food drive, use his food for training, tracking only. A hungry dog is more motivated. What toys are you using? Balls on string for tug/fetch instead of kongs may get him going, or a frisbee for fetch? Have you tried a flirtpole? They are usually fun for the dog and you can tie a ball or a rag on the end of it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

A week and a half AND he was neutered! - give your pup a chance to settle in and get used to his new surroundings and I bet he will show a lot more drive!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

He was nuetered 3 weeks ago and it seems I have sucess after posting this thread i tyed a knot in a sock and he LOVES it. It looks like he may have drive after all and i jumped the gun. Heres to hoping it sticks.

And i misread your post cod, i gotcha now. Its just i have had a good amount of dogs and have never seen this b4 but hopefully its fixed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Master Member

I am guessing as YOU were neutured he sees you as a bit of a wuss :u)

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkhmer View Post
I am guessing as YOU were neutured he sees you as a bit of a wuss :u)
LOLLOLOLOL nice catch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page