This breeder claims his dog's food aggression is "food drive". - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

This breeder claims his dog's food aggression is "food drive".

van Tiekerhook - Fooddrive!

I was absolutely shocked and disgusted to see this. I can hardly believe he is praising his own dogs for showing both food aggression and fear aggression towards him. I cannot imagine how he would think this kind of behavioural enforcement would benefit his dogs OR the breed.

It breaks my heart to read the body language on the second/black dog. She looks fearful and uncertain of what the handler is doing - there is a great amount mistrust in her wide eyes.

I do not care what a dog is trained for, or what breed they are, but they should never exhibit such behaviour. That to me shows a dog that is NOT sound. He has the nerve to label such behaviour as "real food drive"! I would never, ever, ever allow this sort of behaviour in my dogs. I would do everything in my power to correct it.

Has anyone seen this before? Please tell me this isn't a common practice for breeders to praise their dogs for food aggression. I personally have not seen it before now, but it really unnerved and upset me.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WildWolf; 03-22-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
what is he thinking?!?! that's. it food drive that's flat out food aggression!!!!!! then he's praising it!! do you know how long thYs going to take to get rid of, if it can even be trained out of the dog?!?! I would defiantly NOT buy a dog from him and I'd let everyone I know not to either. that's just wrong

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

I am at work so I watched it without audio. I am disgusted. Poor dogs

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Oh my god.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Master Member

I think what makes it worse is you can see him instigating the behavior. Watch as he keeps tapping at the legs and face of the black dog. I find this completely disturbing.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am so glad I am not alone in my opinion of this!

I just wanted to point out that he is a BREEDER with a website, and apparently is holding seminars! Is this not a step back for the German Shepherd breed? Is his plan to breed this false 'drive' into all of his dogs? I am terrified to think of the result.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)

post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

Did anyone read some of the comments defending this?

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
Did anyone read some of the comments defending this?
My husband and I both did, and were shocked by some of those comments. I can't help but wonder how many owners praise their dogs for "real food drive".

post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Master Member

"what the UNTRAINED EYE is looking at is food agression. if you look at it from experience they are demostrating survival instinct...they feel that the person or animals around them have the ability to take thier food from them...is it right depends on the dog you are breeding...do i feel the dogs will attck him if he tries to touch the food...definately. But if you look at the subtlies of the video he is also correcting the dogs directed agrression and praising them for stopping...."

This comment has to take the cake. There is a great difference between survival instinct and food aggression. After having a dog with food aggression I feel I can definably say that this is food aggression. Even if this is "survival instinct" the dog should not have to feel it needs to defend its food against a human.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitydid255 View Post
"what the UNTRAINED EYE is looking at is food agression. if you look at it from experience they are demostrating survival instinct...they feel that the person or animals around them have the ability to take thier food from them...is it right depends on the dog you are breeding...do i feel the dogs will attck him if he tries to touch the food...definately. But if you look at the subtlies of the video he is also correcting the dogs directed agrression and praising them for stopping...."

This comment has to take the cake. There is a great difference between survival instinct and food aggression. After having a dog with food aggression I feel I can definably say that this is food aggression. Even if this is "survival instinct" the dog should not have to feel it needs to defend its food against a human.
I do not understand how they see the handler correcting the aggression and then praising for stopping. That is ridiculous. It is obvious that the handler is praising the aggressive behaviour.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page