E-Collar Malfunction? Or Sensitive Dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

E-Collar Malfunction? Or Sensitive Dog?

Jax reacts strongly at a stim level of 0, not yelping but jerks her head and comes running to my side. Should she feel anything at that level? Does that mean the collar is malfunctioning? Where would I go to have it checked?

It's a Dogtra with 100 levels. I can't feel anything until 18. So, is she just very sensitive to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Knighted Member

My Jax also seems to react stronly... I'm begining to think they're just hyper-sensitive. I can have it up to 7 and our lab doesn't flinch... you can see her eyeballs move so you know it's working... if I had tha on Jax that high, he'd be dead from a dramatic attack.
I've tested it on myself many many times so I know he's just being overly dramatic.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Why is a dog a better conductor than a human!? I just can't get my brain wrapped around the idea that a dog can feel it but a person can't. Maybe it's in the name!

So, what level do you use on your Jax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

I use the lowest setting on Jax and wish there was a higher than highest setting for Sadie. LOL
For a while I felt bad that perhaps there is an underlying condition that perhaps I wasn't aware of but through several experiences have decided that he's just a pansy... I once nudged him because I dropped a towel on the floor and knew he'd go for it so I nudged him with my leg... he went into the side of the stairs and started screaming and hobbled over to the dining room table for cover and continued screaming from there... I thought for sure I broke his hip and started yelling for my BF to come down and call 911 or something. I got on the floor, he crawled over to me on 3 legs, still screaming at the top of his lungs for a full minute before my BF made his way down (apparently this type of commotion warranted him putting on pants before coming down), as soon as he got to the bottom of the stairs, Jax popped up to greet him like nothing happened
The same thing happened at the park once when he got popped by another dog's flexi handle... the owner felt awful LOL
I've never seen a bigger drama queen in all of my life than this dog... yet he's completely fearless in almost all situations. I can't explain it. People ask me if he's been abused, I ask them if they could abuse a dog that reacted this way? I'd have to kill myself out of guilt LOL
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

rofl...omg...

Because I'm me...I'll research why dogs are more sensitive to the stim later. At 18, it felt like a static charge to me but it sends her yelping and running for me to protect her.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs feel thunderstorms/static electricity in the air and we don't. They also feel the barometric pressure in a more sensitive way than humans.
Their hearing/olfactory senses are much more extreme than ours. I can see why they would feel a stim at a much lower level than human.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Jane - do you have articles explaining why?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

None specific, just do search on static electricity and dogs, barometric pressure/dogs~ several links show, though getting scientific information may take deeper digging.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 AM

I can help with some of the science for you basically the collar has a step-down transformer on its side and when the collar touches the dog it then completes a circuit which when activated transmits the voltage to the dog via the the impedance of the dogs skin. The impedance of a dogs skin is typically betwteen 1500 ohms and 5000 ohms. SO if your dog has has a lot of wet skin this can change the amount of shock it receives. Conversely the dog can be that sensitive since they are more prone to pulmonary edema when they get a shock from say chewing on a household appliance cord.

One way you can check if your collar is bad is find a friend who has a multimeter and have them measure the voltage at the end of the collar probes when you press the button to send the shock signal.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So what is the impedance of a human's skin? Why can they feel what we can't?

When I first set the level, it was 20 but we were inside where it is very dry. Outside, 20 will send her yelping for cover, i.e. behind me. So, her working level outside is much, much lower than inside, and I'm assuming due to the increased moisture.

Now I'm wondering how that feels on her at zero if she can feel what we can't. Obviously, we can't go by what it feels like to us if it's amplified for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page