dog trying to train me with ball? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question dog trying to train me with ball?

i notice for the first while my dog comes to me and drops the ball right to me perfect she knows what drop it and bring it means

ball playing is her fave game however

in the past she has done a lot of sleeve bite work which she loves also

the last little while she has stop dropping the ball she whines and encourages me to PULLL the ball out of her mouth i fell for it at first but then her grips on the balls started to get stronger and stronger! like she was training me! at first she would let the ball slide out of her mouth easy but day after day she would make it harder and harder to get the ball out of her mouth, until today i put a stop to it i stopped grabbing it out of her mouth i just gently hold onto her collar and wait for her to drop the ball but she still rather i pull it from her mouth.

is that what she is trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Make her drop the ball or dont play, she could be playing but more than likely it is her challenging for dominance. Wouldnt play that game to much rides on it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

She's just playing. My dog still does it at 20 months. Their mouth is all they have to work with so they use it a LOT. Tug of war is FUN. It's not dominance, she is just trying to get you to play. My dog can beat me at tug of war but she knows who's boss. Lighten up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
She's just playing. My dog still does it at 20 months. Their mouth is all they have to work with so they use it a LOT. Tug of war is FUN. It's not dominance, she is just trying to get you to play. My dog can beat me at tug of war but she knows who's boss. Lighten up.
You may very well be correct, depends on the age of the dog which is not listed and for what I train these beautiful aniamals for lighten up is not a option.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

i cant play tug w my girl shes got a very hard grip/bite and will beat me or just about anyone at tug in a second lol

she is 14 months old yeah he cracked her bran new orbee already i think i will take her to petsmart to buy more balls

so just continue to play ball but hold onto her collar till she drops it even if she whines for me to tug it out of her?

i would play tug with her if it is okay but i am thinking she is a naturally dominant female so it may not be a good idea

Last edited by pets4life; 03-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I don't play tug with balls, too easy to get caught with a tooth if they regrip and no way to imobilize the ball for a good out. I use a tug for tug play and teach the out and correct if needed. Leerburg has a wonderful video by Michael Ellis called "The power of playing tug with your dog". A tug is a great reward if used properly, but a ball makes a poor tug, especially without a cord.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

I'd get a 2 balls on a string and tug with her. It's hardly dominance, she wants to play and engage you. When she brings it back, grab the string, tug a little, tell her to out and then throw the second ball.

Tugging is a great way to have fun, bond, and burn off some energy

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question

i thought that could risk her teeth if we used balls? any petsmart products would be good for this?

Orbee balls on a rope maybe?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, that should be fine.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question

okay thanks so i went and bought a orbee ball with rope

you were rght yes she was so happy when she saw it

so this is what we do i throw her obee ball with no string and then hold the orbee ball with a robe in one hand when she comes back she sees the orbee ball with robe lets go of the orbee ball in her mouth and chomps and tuggs the **** out of the orbee ball with a rope until i throw the orbee ball again

i do not let her win the tug at the end i just hide the orbee ball with rope and dont let her have it because she is pretty full of herself i figure it maybe a bad idea to let her know that she is stronger than me (which she clearly is) she has done protection work and is really good at it also.

i just had one concern when i have the orbee ball with rope i my hand she lunges at it really aggressive and grips hard and yanks hard only thing is the lunging i dont want her to get a hold of my hand any safety tips when working with a ball and a rope to avoid her hitting my hand by mistake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page