crying in the crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation crying in the crate

Okay, so I have had my GSD since Wednesday of last week. She turned 8 weeks old on Monday. I am doing really well with house breaking her, however I have tried all the methods of making her crate a pleasant place for night time. I have tried putting something with my scent in her crate, playing soft music, laying in the room until she calms down and even feed her meals in the crate but she is still crying and whining every night. I go and get her to take her out and take her straight back in to go back to bed. I dont know what else to do, I have tried every option that I know of so if anyone has any advice for getting her to sleep in her crate without throwing a temper tantrum. This is my first large dog so I am new to this, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
personally I'd let her cry then let her out when she's quiet. if you let her out while she's crying it could make her learn that crying gets her out and that's not good. make it a fun place to be in, play games near it, throw a toy in and let her come out, throw treats in. She's a puppy she's going to cry, give her time and make it fun and she'll soon learn that her crate is a fun place to be good luck!!!

ETA: move her crate down with you and leave the door open so she can go in and out as she pleases. When she goes in on her own praise and treat her.

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor.Watson View Post
Okay, so I have had my GSD since Wednesday of last week. She turned 8 weeks old on Monday. I am doing really well with house breaking her, however I have tried all the methods of making her crate a pleasant place for night time. I have tried putting something with my scent in her crate, playing soft music, laying in the room until she calms down and even feed her meals in the crate but she is still crying and whining every night. I go and get her to take her out and take her straight back in to go back to bed. I dont know what else to do, I have tried every option that I know of so if anyone has any advice for getting her to sleep in her crate without throwing a temper tantrum. This is my first large dog so I am new to this, any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Xander did this when I first brought him home. I just let him cry it out - thankfully early on I was able to distinguish and figure out whether it was a potty whine or just a "I want out" whine.

Definitely don't let her out when she's crying - wait until she stops then let her out and make a BIG deal out of it how good she is, lots of praise, etc.

Also, make sure you're wearing her out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

any suggestions on wearing her out? I dont know how to keep her up during the day, she is getting in the habit of sleeping during the day and crying during the night so I have been taking her outside and throwing the ball with her and we play with pull toys inside. Also the vet said to feed her 2x a day and I have been doing so at like 7 am and 6pm but she acts like she is absolutely starving in between meals, is that normal?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

how much are you feeding her? and what are you feeding her?

~Steph~

RIP my Angel:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM

We are having some of the same issues. Do you keep the crate in another room or in your bedroom. We found our puppy (11 weeks) is much better in our room with us in the crate, plus when she needs to go out during the night I hear her start to cry. She was great for like a week, but now she is starting to cry a little more.... She still hates the crate during the day....

Not sure if this helps, but I found she crys much less when I put her in the crate. The one night my wife did the night runs she cried like CRAZY when she put her in. I think the consitency might help, but I might be making that up!

I do toss a treat inside to get her to go in, then close the door and feed another through the bars. She just started catching on today though that as soon as she gets the treat she is locked in. I now need to play around the crate more and let her go in and get a treat but come out so she doesn't know when the closeing of the door will happen.

We feed three times a day, usually a cup each time. But we are not sure when to start doing only twice a day... We had the same issue as you with her being so hungry and thirsty during the day.

Last edited by rustilldown; 03-15-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add more
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

at 8 weeks I would DEFINITELY be feeding her 3x a day thats just to long of a stretch for such a little puppy. I would agree with most of what you have been told except for making a big deal of her being good when she comes out because she easily could mistake getting praise for coming out and reinforce out is good and in is bad.

As far as wearing her out lots of things. Playing with her with the toys is a good thing so is lots of short training sessions to help wear out her mind and something I absolutely LOVE that wears my girl out like nothing else is a nice off leash hike.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
at 8 weeks I would DEFINITELY be feeding her 3x a day thats just to long of a stretch for such a little puppy. I would agree with most of what you have been told except for making a big deal of her being good when she comes out because she easily could mistake getting praise for coming out and reinforce out is good and in is bad.

As far as wearing her out lots of things. Playing with her with the toys is a good thing so is lots of short training sessions to help wear out her mind and something I absolutely LOVE that wears my girl out like nothing else is a nice off leash hike.
I'm a little confused by this. (in bold)

a hike is way too much for a 8 week old puppy right now

~Steph~

RIP my Angel:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCluver33 View Post
I'm a little confused by this. (in bold)

a hike is way too much for a 8 week old puppy right now
I agree with the bold. I usually show little if any praise when our puppy come out of the crate, because I don't want coming out of the to be a big deal. Espeically if she cried for a while. Generally we go right outside and she will get praise after she goes to the bathroom, but not until then.

The puppy may start to wine more if it gets praise for coming out because she knows when she gets out that only good things are going to happen.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

okay well I am feeding her Nutro (because where I got her from was feeding her taste of the wild and I've had a hard time finding it so I went to pet smart and the girl told me the ingredients are pretty close so I started her on Nutro), She weight 9.5 pounds and I hate it that she seems so hungry throughout the day, I was wondering if it would be okay to feed her 3x. I have been feeding her 1cup/feeding. Let me know any suggestions about this, the vet said that 2x a day is enough and that she should grow fast but we dont want her to grow too fast.

Also, we have been spending a lot of time outside together and we play with toys and stuff so I think I am getting the hang of that. I dont have enough room in my bedroom to put the crate I bought her because it's massive ( i have it sectioned off) & there is no room for it in my room so I have her in her own room down the hall from me. I have noticed that she likes it when I go in there with her and rub her head until she falls asleep and then I have to quietly lock the cage and exit the room haha, but people say not to do that, and that it's not realistic to do it every night so not to do it now. Thank you guys so much for all the input, I just want to do things right because I know she is gonna be an awesome dog so I owe it to her to make sure she gets trained correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page