Is there a uniform way to walk? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Is there a uniform way to walk?

I walk my dogs twice day and I have found myself getting frustrated. What is the best way to become structured in walking? Should they always be on my left or my right? Do I let him go and smell every mailbox? What do I do when they want to walk back and forth in front of me? Ugh...they both pull lightly out of excitement but neither of them drag me around or dont stop if I say stop...Just trying to fine tune our walks..Any advice welcome

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Schindler- Black GSD 10/01/2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Mya-Black & White Beagle/Terrier mix 06/10/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Walks are Elsa's time to be kind of obnoxious. She never pulls too much, but I let her sniff, walk on either side (unless we are in traffic), etc. Walks are a fun, relaxing time for both of us.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

I don't let mine stop and sniff everything...that is a personal pet peeve of mine. I also don't let them cross from side to side. Pick a side, then they stay there. I don't enforce strict heeling work or anything of the sort, but I do expect manners. This means no pulling, no constant sniffing, marking, crossing back and forth, etc

Structure provides relaxation in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I should say that this is all "within reason." We still keep the pace I want and I don't want to trip over her constantly.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It really depends on what YOU want. Figure out what criteria you want them to obey and then train that. How someone else walks their dogs really shouldn't matter, you get to decide how you want to walk your own dogs.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I don't let mine stop and sniff everything...that is a personal pet peeve of mine. I also don't let them cross from side to side. Pick a side, then they stay there. I don't enforce strict heeling work or anything of the sort, but I do expect manners. This means no pulling, no constant sniffing, marking, crossing back and forth, etc

Structure provides relaxation in my case.

thats about how it is here. Shasta walks on my right side because thats easiest for me. She stops to sniff here and there but when she starts making a big thing about it, she gets dragged along and told to leave it. no pulling allowed. i'll let her know when she's allowed to have freedom which is usually on te smaller grassy areas but on standard walks involving sidewalks and such.... she has to behave and have some manners about her.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

All true I just wanted to get some ideas on what everyone else does. I mainly make them walk on the inside, no excessive pulling or marking I guess we are doing good then...lol GSDElsa good point about it being a relaxing time for us. And Rerun you are on the same page as me when it comes to structure bringing relaxation! lol...

-Schindler- Black GSD 10/01/2008

-Mya-Black & White Beagle/Terrier mix 06/10/2010
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

My dog walks out in front and my foster on my left side. There is no swirling allowed as that makes me crazy and it could cause me to trip. I also don't allow any sniffing or marking when out for a walk; they can do that before or after, not during.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Zan

I have been training Neko to "switch" (usually she is on my left) behind me, not in front. This can be useful if there is something coming up that I want to avoid.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

start when they're young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraLovey View Post
I walk my dogs twice day and I have found myself getting frustrated. What is the best way to become structured in walking?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page