Do Dogs Really not Know...? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do Dogs Really not Know...?

Everything I have read, and have followed, says that after a dog has done something (for example, chewing up the couch when you're gone), it's pointless to punish them when you find it, because they won't know why you're puninshing them.

However, Aiden chews up the couch all the time. I have not punished him for it, except for when I caught him chewing on it. Same with him peeing in the house.

Every day I come home to the couch chewed up or a giant pee puddle in the floor, he runs away from me like I'm an axe murderer. He has no reason to be afraid of me, because I have never yelled at him, spanked him, rubbed his nose in the couch foam/pee, etc. I just bite my tongue and clean it up and ignore him.

What are your thoughts? Do dogs really not know why they're in trouble if you punish them after the fact? (I wouldn't do it, but I'm curious what you guys think).

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Knighted Member

This is a great post. I question this too.

When I walk into the kitchen and find garbage on the floor and turn to look at Mac and he lays on the groun in submission...I'm pretty sure he knows
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe he is picking up on your reaction when you "bite your tongue". If he senses you're frustrated or upset, even if you don't yell at him he could be reacting to that. I wish I could put it better, hopefully you'll know what I mean.

I've had Gunnar and Cass look "guilty" if I get frustrated at something not even related to them. As an example, if I get upset at a play in a football/baseball game I'm watching on TV and let out a "damnit" or something like that, they will look guilty or nervous. I've never yelled at either of them or hit them, but they are reading something in me that makes them react.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
Everything I have read, and have followed, says that after a dog has done something (for example, chewing up the couch when you're gone), it's pointless to punish them when you find it, because they won't know why you're puninshing them.

However, Aiden chews up the couch all the time. I have not punished him for it, except for when I caught him chewing on it. Same with him peeing in the house.

Every day I come home to the couch chewed up or a giant pee puddle in the floor, he runs away from me like I'm an axe murderer. He has no reason to be afraid of me, because I have never yelled at him, spanked him, rubbed his nose in the couch foam/pee, etc. I just bite my tongue and clean it up and ignore him.

What are your thoughts? Do dogs really not know why they're in trouble if you punish them after the fact? (I wouldn't do it, but I'm curious what you guys think).
Everyone has a different opinion, but I believe they do know. When JAG was first issued to me, he would chew on the couch cushions when I was not watching him. When I would come in and see the pieces laying in the floor, I would pick them up and spank him with them. It took about 4 times of him doing this and he has never done it since then. Same situation with the cat bowl. It took about 3 times with it and he has never done it since either.

Nick

Jag.. Jukk Last Van Hauser GSD, K-9
Sable..Dutch Shepherd, Explosives Detection Dog
Arko.. Bane VanDerHaus Bildtunderschrift GSD
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
I've had Gunnar and Cass look "guilty" if I get frustrated at something not even related to them. As an example, if I get upset at a play in a football/baseball game I'm watching on TV and let out a "damnit" or something like that, they will look guilty or nervous. I've never yelled at either of them or hit them, but they are reading something in me that makes them react.
I think Ozzy is dyslexic when it comes to reading emotions. LOL There will be a dog that clearly does not want to play with him, and I'll have to tell him to leave it, because he just tries to play and is excited. Or if I'm mad, that's when he's the happiest and is up my buttcrack. He can read sorrow pretty well though, and he turns into a cuddlebug. Other than that, though, nope.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

LOL, I've never heard of a dyslexic dog, but anything is possible.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Master Member

I'm curious about this too, but I'm almost certain they do know.

Also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yJHuJNyIB7k

(somebody else posted it in another thread, but I had to share it here!).
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

Does he run away AFTER you see the damage? Because they can read minds.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Does he run away AFTER you see the damage? Because they can read minds.
Sometimes he'll run before I see it.

Hmm, so now I KNOW he knows! Haha.

And that poodle video is one of the funniest I've seen in a while. LOL

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Knighted Member

Oh I'm certain they know. Jax chewed one of the pedals on my elliptical a few months ago and I can still point to it and ask "did you do that?" and his ears go back in his "beaten dog" pose. I've never hit him but he knows when he's done something wrong... I think the fun of destruction outweighs his conscience sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page