Socialization-Being leery??Normal?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Socialization-Being leery??Normal??

Well, my husband and I took Jamie out for socialization today. We were so excited she finally is able to ride w/o vomiting-woo hoo. She did good at the vet for her weight update(58lbs). She listened to all her commands and was comfortable with the female tech that was with us to weigh her. So we go over to Tractor Suppy she did fairly well there, but there were certain people she just did not want touching her. She did not show any aggression at all she just would back away from them and not allow them to touch her. She only did this with some people.

My question is what is acceptable social behavior? Should she allow everyone to pet her or is it good that she is leery of some people? I am just not sure if it is ok for her to be leery if someone is trying to pet her. She was fine with some while not with others. She absolutely would not socialize with another dog that was in there. She did not care for the handler either. She did great with others. She was super obedient. We got home and she was super excited to be back. Also I would like to add when she is home and anyone comes over she will bark at them, but as soon as they enter the yard she loves all over them. She has never been leery of anyone that has entered our yard or home that is why I was surprised she acted like that in the store. Any thoughts/advice as to if it is ok for her to be leery with some and social with others?
Thanks in advance.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

I usually ask that the dog do the first sniff before anyone pets. It can be overwhelming especially with the active day you described that Jamie would want everyone to pet her.
GSD's aren't that type of dog usually and only want "their people" touching them. Body language of humans can come off as threatening, too so dogs read that along with the scent of them.
Have you looked at Turid Rugaas's book Calming signals; On talking terms with dogs? Great DVD available too.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-05-2011 at 03:30 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I usually ask that the dog do the first sniff before anyone pets. It can be overwhelming especially with the active day you described that Jamie would want everyone to pet her.
GSD's aren't that type of dog usually and only want "their people" touching them. Body language of humans can come off as threatening, too so dogs read that along with the scent of them.
Have you looked at Turid Rugaas's book Calming signals; On talking terms with dogs? Great DVD available too.
Thank you. Most people did put their hands out for her to sniff first. She just didn't seem to like some of the people and absolutely didn't want them to touch her. Others she did great with.

Thanks, I will take a look at that website.

Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Elite Member

Luna is leery about some people... after we put together a list of those she's been leery towards, we realized what she was being leery of: the smell of drugs/narcotics. Every single person she's "alerted" to, we've confirmed that they are a drug user of some sort.

Sometimes it's a good idea to trust your dog's judgement.

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post
Luna is leery about some people... after we put together a list of those she's been leery towards, we realized what she was being leery of: the smell of drugs/narcotics. Every single person she's "alerted" to, we've confirmed that they are a drug user of some sort.

That is very interesting I didn't think about it in that regard that maybe she could sense things about certain people. I just wonder if her being leery is something I should try to train out of her? Is it good to have a leery dog?

Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

Confident but not leary. I would build confidence by having Jamie look to you for direction and after maturity Jamie will not need to have you be the one to decipher what is good/bad because her confidence level will be up there to do it herself with success.
Many dogs that are "leery" lack confidence, so keeping it high is key, IMO. You can always take it down a notch if they are too full of themselves....building it back up is really a challenge.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

what was your conformation based on??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

how often are you socializing???
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
what was your conformation based on??
A couple of the people she alerted to were known drug users... it was no big secret that they were. Another wasn't an illegal drug user, but was on strong doses of chemotherapy and other prescription meds for cancer. After his cancer went in remission and the drugs were out of his system, she was perfectly fine with him. Still other people we simply asked. One guy said he couldn't figure out why the dog didn't seem to like him, since most dogs did. I commented, "Yeah, that's really odd since normally she seems to only act that way around people who use drugs." He hung his head and admitted to having smoked weed earlier that day.

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
how often are you socializing???
I live very far out in the country so I don't get to take her to town very often. I do however walk her frequently down the road to the only two places where people are where I live. I live in the sticks about 20 or more miles from a town. She doesn't bark at anyone or back away from them when I take her to those places.This is why it shocked me that there were certain people she wouldn't let touch her today at Tractor Supply. It was really crowded in there so that probably contributed to the problem. We don't live in a heavily populated area.

Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page