need tips for strong recall... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

need tips for strong recall...

My Buddy has gotten a little lax with coming when called. He has been recuperating from surgery so has been on a leash with minimal activity for several months. Now I'm giving him short amounts of time off leash but he's got so much pent up energy and seems so distracted that he is not coming when called like he had been before his surgery.
He's really very good with obedience, has been through formal classes and has been very consistent. Part of it is my fault in that I haven't worked with him much on commands while he's been injured because of his restrictions.
So...now we need to get back in shape...any ideas would be appreciated!

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Master Member

Go back to beginnings of working recall. Start by reinforcing the behavior on leash. Once you have this move on to a 30 foot line and so on. Since he was already consistent once it won't take long. May have given too much freedom after that long break and he has gotten "lazy" for lack of a better word.
I would also give a refresher course on your other basic obedience as well. Bring him back up, build his confidence again and into that working part of his brain.

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

If you can, get another person and call the dog inbetween you guys back and forth in an enclosed area, and periodically get further and further apart. Use really high value treats, like beef or chicken or whatever else your dog really, really likes. When the dog comes, feed the dog for 30 seconds straight using very tiny pieces. Never call your dog if you don't think he will come, and when you call him only call him once. Don't punish your dog if he takes a long time to come back you, because coming to you should always be a good experience. If he's not responding, run away and/or go play hide and seek on your dog, and treat for 30 seconds when he reaches you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

Melinda, it's great that Buddy's to this point of off leash activity. I would do exactly what the other two suggested and go back to the beginning foundation of recall training. You really can't blame him for wanting his "freedom" right now..that's for sure. The idea of another obedience class might be very benefical too.. and you both would probably enjoy it. Hugs

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Elite Member

I once read a suggestion that you crouch down & open your arms wide while calling the dog in a very friendly, enthusiatic voice. I did this twice when Cochise, my Siberian Husky, had gotten loose. His recall when outside the fence was practically non-existent but this method worked with him both times. I can still see his verrry reluctant, almost puzzled expression, as he decided to come to me rather than run off. Naturally there was tons of happy praise & hugs.

Djibouti's recall is terrific, but I still use a happy, enthusiastic tone to make it a mildly rewarding experience even without treats.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions....all sound good and I will be working on it. Probably a little bit of laziness on both ends
Lynn, he's not doing much off leash still...still limping a fair amount if we over-do with too much activity on or off leash. I let him off for short spurts...maybe 5-10 minutes at a time during our walks. He walks pretty normal in the morning but by end of the day...limping. Still have him on meds as well. Feels like the never-ending recovery...how is Laos?
~Melinda
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Melinda ~

Laos is holding his own. We've been doing two 30-minute walks a day with shorter ones inbetween. He's using the leg well, though you can still tell he's sore. His surgery to remove plates will be on Tuesday, March 8th. I'll start a new thread to keep everyone updated.

Hugs to Buddy.

p.s. I've lost all of the control and obedience that I use to have with Laos. I'll be going back to the basics when he's able. Hugs

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I'll be thinking of you and Laos on Tues...hope all goes well and I'll be looking forward to the new thread to stay updated. Yea, I've got lots of work to do with Buddy and my little rescue Onyx. Buddy is so exicted if I let him off the leash that when he hears me call him with the leash in hand he's like "no way" and pretty much ignores me....so excited to have a little freedom. I guess that's to be expected but we're going back to the basics as well!
Hugs to you and Laos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page