training goals - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

training goals

my one year dog has basic training in ob how does this future training goal sound

1. get her a cgc she is suspecious towards strangers a bit but still hope to get it. She is pretty protective also.

2. go on to basic agility something fun we can also do at home.

3. tracking another dog sport i would love to do

4. any of the protection sports

IS this a good goal

my dog understands things in another language so I got to learn how to convert her from slovak to english. She is very easy to train and biddable eager to please loves to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

Do you speak Slovak? If so, there is no reason to retrain her in another language. You could teach her Banana means sit if you want!

If you want to do tracking and protection, why not just train in SchH? You can also do agility if you want.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

i guess shutzund is all 3 in one so thats pretty cool only problem is shutzund club is a 2 hour drive from me.

I dont speak slovak her previous owners did though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Well I think the CGC and then AGILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Course the other stuff is ok too, but not like AGILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Schutzhund is great but it is a big time commitment. Agility and obedience classes are usually an hour but Schutzhund training sessions can be several hours at a time. If you factor in the driving time, Schutzhund will likely end up being an all day commitment for you at least once a week.

I'd suggest trying the things you are interested in and seeing what you and your dog like the best
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
Schutzhund is great but it is a big time commitment. Agility and obedience classes are usually an hour but Schutzhund training sessions can be several hours at a time. If you factor in the driving time, Schutzhund will likely end up being an all day commitment for you at least once a week.

I'd suggest trying the things you are interested in and seeing what you and your dog like the best
I agree. SchH is a big commitment.

our schedule involves:
1. get up 5am 2x-3x a week to track
2. Obedience training every day for at least 30 minutes (which of course you have to build up to slowly)
3. Protection work wednesday evenings
4. All day training at a club 2 hours away for the whole day.

With that said, it is well worth it. The dog's instincts are satisfied. He gets constructive, more +R type training that people think when they think of SchH, he develops focus and attention, as well as problem solving skills (if you do the tracking right). Overall a SchH dog is a pleasure to have and it's nice to know he is under your control in every circumstance (since he's under your control while being high in drive he learns to listen to you even while stimulated).

But you can try different parts of SchH before committing yourself. Try tracking, try obedience - see if you like it and can commit. You should also make sure you have the right dog for SchH - some dogs just don't have the drive or confidence.

If not, agility, CGC and other sports are just as beneficial for the dog and can be just as rewarding if not more so - but that's all I can really comment on since I never got involved with those.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page