Captain's Obedience Demo... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Captain's Obedience Demo...

Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd share a video of Captain working in obedience. Keep in mind, this is not show-ring OB, so he isn't required to look at me while heeling.

Cap is a laid back GSD, so he doesn't get as "amped up" as other dogs. He definitely isn't as high drive as Rival is going to be! LOL.

This was taken 2 years ago...I haven't had the time to get a new battery for my camera, but should be getting one very soon since Rival is starting obedience.

Hope you enjoy!

LINK:

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim.
~Captain Max von Stephanitz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Captain Jack - B/T Blanket Back (11.01.06)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rival - Dark Sable (12.10.10)

Last edited by Rival; 02-24-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Master Member

Very nice.

But I do have a question.....his back is arched, ears down like he is VERY uncomfortable.
Of course I don't know if it's the situation/pain/training methods but just thought I would throw that observation out there.

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valreegrl View Post
Very nice.

But I do have a question.....his back is arched, ears down like he is VERY uncomfortable.
Of course I don't know if it's the situation/pain/training methods but just thought I would throw that observation out there.
Thanks.

Captain was a rescue and I got him when he was 8 months old. I honestly don't know if that has to do with his *very* sensitive nature or not...but, believe me, he is an extremely sensitive dog...as you can see.

That coupled with the fact that I didn't praise enough in his formal training makes him seem unsure and uncomfortable.

He isn't a hard dog by any means and it doesn't take much to hurt his feelings. LOL. He is very loved and happy though, I assure you!

Case in point...Frisbee video:

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Master Member

Awesome!

Happy to hear you understand why I was asking, which is why I wanted to point it out

Do you clicker train? Building confidence through positive reinforcement is quick and effective. It gets them excited to work because they understand EXACTLY what you want them to give you. Especially for our rescue dogs

FYI: The hunched back may just be how he is built. His expression in this second video shows he is definitely having a blast yet still slightly hunched.
By the way....thanks for rescuing!

Last edited by valreegrl; 02-24-2011 at 04:28 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I think that's just how he is built. He was ran over as a pup (before I acquired him) and his left hip was cracked which resulted in his back legs being paralyzed for a few months. He ended up healing on his own a few months later and that's when I took him home.

I use "traditional" methods...with the correction/praise level adjusted to each dog's personal needs. Cappy was just my first dog to ever train myself, so he was a "learning experience"...LOL. I know I could have done things differently/better with him...but he turned out to be an excellent dog and I love him to bits!

By the way...who is Rocky the RockStar Kardashian? The reason I ask, is because every Sunday night, my husband & I go over to my parents so my mom and I can watch the Kardashian shows together...LOL.

Last edited by Rival; 02-24-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Master Member

Poor pup
Read a little about clicker training/positive reinforcement. The way it builds confidence is through allowing the dog to figure out what you are asking rather than being shown. You can see their eyes light up when they "get it".

Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian is my female pup in the avatar
She came into rescue at 12 weeks with guarding issues and was a handful to say the least, her name was Roxy. I immediately began foundation work with her and each new skill she picked up immediately so my husband began calling her Roxy the Rockstar. At the worst part of her guarding she was backing up my two males at the water dish and would spin around the bowl in a frenzy not allowing anyone to get close. That is how she was dubbed Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian, in my husband's words "She may look pretty but she can be a real bi***"!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

^^ Hahaha....that's so great! I love meanings behind names! Captain was named after my favorite movie character: Captain Jack Sparrow. He can be suave and charming when need be, but then turn ornery and goofy in the blink of an eye.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page