Prong Collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Prong Collars

I'm sure their are already numerous threads on this... but I really don't have time to actively scan the site--so, I'll ask anyway.

I am trying to train my pup to walk better on a leash. What's your take on prong collars? My trainer suggested I buy one.. but, is it cruel? Also, what size do I get? He's nine months and 83lbs. I'm really new to all this... and I don't want to mistreat my pup.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! THank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

I use prong collars with dogs that pull. They're like power steering for dogs. It's kind of a band-aid solution while you work on the pulling with your trainer, but for walking the dog while you're fixing the cause of the pulling, a prong can't be beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM

I use a prong collar on a regular basis with my 2.5 year old Millie. It works very well with her. I was very hesitant to use it at first but at recommendation from a friend we gave it a try. If you compare it to a choke collar it is actually a much better tool. With the choke collar you have a lot of sleck and risk injurying your dog/pup when trying to correct them. They only way to control them is to choke them.

As I understand it. A prong collar is designed to spread the pressure out around the entire neck of your dog/pup. Instead of a chock is pressure all around the neck. If you buy one make sure it is one that has clip to attack not a slip on/off or one that you have to undo one of the links to take off. This allows you to properly size the collar so that when worn it is snug on your dog. This way when you go to make a correction it is immediate instead of with a long choke chain that you have to get all the slack out of first.

If I might ask what kind of leash work have you done? Are you in training classes? That is the best place to learn to properly use a prong collar. In fact the latest class I took doens't even use prong collars simply connect to the leash and the proper use and training/practice works great. I have not perfected that and still use a prong collar but wanted to throw that in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
It's kind of a band-aid solution while you work on the pulling with your trainer, .
Well stated. Much better than the rambling I did.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.

I just got him one week ago... and he had NEVER been walked in his life before. He had a yard to run in, but spent most of his time in a crate while his owner was away on travel. He does fairly well while on his own--but, he's easily distracted. If I take him out with our other GSD, all he wants to do is play rather than walk.

I enrolled in basic obedience, but we've only been one time so far. This saturday will be our second class out of six. I do plan to continue out training though after this session ends. So really, we just started working together.

He didn't even know "shake" or "paw" when I got him.. but, he learned that in less than a week!!!! He knows 'sit', 'down', 'stay', and 'wait' though.. so I cannot complain. He's always house trained.. it's just walking and nipping that present the biggest challenge so far!
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

IMO, a prong is a much better tool than a choke collar. Make sure it is fitted correctly. Choke collars can more easily damage their trachea because of the repeated force on their throats.

I just read a report that collars can pull the dog's neck out of place. So, you want to make sure you aren't using excessive force and you want to make sure he isn't going to the end of the collar (whatever kind it is) and causing force on his neck.

But...like Emoore said...this is a bandaid solution while in training. You have to work on teaching your dog to not pull and pay attention to where you are. So work on focus as well!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

And!! Because he is a nipper that has never had a correction collar on...don't be surprised if he tries to nip you when you first give him a correction. He might react to the 'pinch'.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Knighted Member

The prong collar is not cruel if you learn how to use it properly. If trained right, you should be able to use a prong with just light pulls on the collar. Has your trainer shown you how to use to collar? I hope so, if not, he is doing a disservice by suggesting without telling/showing how it is used. That is my biggest gripe with folks/trainers suggesting a prong.

Here is a link showing how to properly fit a prong collar. How to fit a Prong collar

As far as size, either a small or medium should work. I use a medium with Kayla (82 lbs) and now a small with Lancer (70 lbs) after starting with a medium. The small gives a more flexible fit with the smaller links.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Master Member

It depends on the dog, some respond well, some don't, I use a HS prong. Keep in mind this is a training tool and should be used as such, it can become a crutch if used improperly.

Michael

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Knighted Member

Look into clicker training. A good exercise after you teach him to "look" at you, is while your walking you say his name, as soon as he looks at you "click" then treat. This teaches him that staying in that position is good.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page