Park-without a leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Park-without a leash

Hello all, I have a puppy who is 8 months old, he really obays amazingly at home, most of the time outside too, he pulls a little bit but only whe nhe sniffs somthing out. I live near the woods adn a huge park that is not fenced in but fairly big. I would like to start letting him out on the lose, is this a good age? or is he too young? How can I be 100 % sure he will not run for it and If I call him he wont come back? In our backyard he does really good, comes when i call, or comand him to do things, but whe nout in the wild I am a bit too scared...Am I over reacting? is it likely for him at this age to run away? I am worried he will get to a street and get ran over, or that I wount be able to catch him.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Knighted Member

Hi - I clicked on your link. Really pretty stuff.

My trainer told us to keep our puppy on a leash until he comes when called 100% of the time. We followed that advice and for a few months we had no problems. Then all of the sudden Mac started to run away when off leash. So, in my experience it is very risky to have a puppy off leash. But, I know a lot of people on this site have their dogs trained very well and are able to do it. Hope you hear from some of them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

i personally wouldnt do it but thats more because i dont trust people to not throw a huge fit about it. If you want to give it a shot, you can try attaching a training lead 15ft, 20ft, or even 50ft if you want and practice distance recall that way. He has freedom but you still have control. I wont trust Shasta off lead because she finds something to sniff and everything else goes out the window. She's also been sketchy on her recall as well lately but she's only 9 months old so i dont expect perfection. Its up to you if you want to take the chance.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I am a bit worried too. The long leash is a great idea! did not think of that, deffinately going to get one. The woods and part where I live is pretty much 100 % empty when kids are in school, I work from home so I am able to use the park and woods to the fullest at those times. I will try the long leash and let you all know how it works Thank you so much! and I would love to hear more stories if you have done it Hugs

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM

One quick question - have you confirmed that the area you want to do this in not covered under any sort of mandatory leash regulation? I do see you are in Canada, and I'm not sure what the regulations are for you there, but it is something you would want to confirm if you are not already certain.
I would suggest using a long training line at first just to give yourself and your dog a little extra safety net.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
Hi - I clicked on your link. Really pretty stuff.

My trainer told us to keep our puppy on a leash until he comes when called 100% of the time. We followed that advice and for a few months we had no problems. Then all of the sudden Mac started to run away when off leash. So, in my experience it is very risky to have a puppy off leash. But, I know a lot of people on this site have their dogs trained very well and are able to do it. Hope you hear from some of them.
Thank you I do some digital graphics and photography

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA Bay View Post
One quick question - have you confirmed that the area you want to do this in not covered under any sort of mandatory leash regulation? I do see you are in Canada, and I'm not sure what the regulations are for you there, but it is something you would want to confirm if you are not already certain.
I would suggest using a long training line at first just to give yourself and your dog a little extra safety net.
There is nothing that I can find that a leash is a must, other than bunch of signed to pick up poop..lol I live outside of the city in a small town, there is at leat 20 acres of free space. I have seen other people with dogs and no leash but in the evenings, late evenings meaning like 8 or 9 pm when kids are sleeping. But my concern is that is not fenced in so worried he will take off.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It has much more to do with training that it does with age. Keefer went to an off leash park for the first time at about 4-1/2 months, Halo at 15 weeks. Because being off leash for them is routine from a young age it's not that big a deal. They're also really into retrieving balls, which is why we take them there - our yard is very tiny. So we know that when we throw the ball, they'll bring it back. Having a toy your dog is obsessed with that they can play with YOU with helps a lot. Also - a long line, as others have suggested.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Knighted Member

I'm a firm believer of not introducing a leash until they are 4-6 months so all my pups are off leash young. The reason is puppies at 8 weeks don't run off- they stay with you and learn young to stay with you when outdoors. However, your pup is not used to that freedom so I would start this test in a large but fenced area first and make sure his recall is good. Also bring treats and toys to lure him back should he start to wonder off. None of mine have ever run away or darted into a street, but again none of them saw a leash until they were already used to being off leash at all times
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
It has much more to do with training that it does with age. Keefer went to an off leash park for the first time at about 4-1/2 months, Halo at 15 weeks. Because being off leash for them is routine from a young age it's not that big a deal. They're also really into retrieving balls, which is why we take them there - our yard is very tiny. So we know that when we throw the ball, they'll bring it back. Having a toy your dog is obsessed with that they can play with YOU with helps a lot. Also - a long line, as others have suggested.
That's my experience too. Actually it's WAY better to start with the puppies at 7 weeks off leash when they have a major panic if we are too far away. So between nature and training they LEARN to listen and stay close as they get older.

Once they are older, it's about the training (specially if you weren't able to do the preliminary offleash work when they were young puppies). I know DOG CLASSES were always a good way for me to learn how reliable my dogs would be offleash and with distractions. But classes are a 'safe' environment to work on the trainining if it needs some tweaking.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page