How bad would it be to vest a sudo service dog ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Talking How bad would it be to vest a sudo service dog ?

I have been reading Colorado State law and it seems to me that you do not even have to register a working dog. I would need her badged as well as me from a 3rd party pet supply company but, apparently stores cannot ask for "papers". Let me explain so I do not sound so crazy. I am doing a lot of scent work with her and when I am able to bring her in stores she is able to smell, see and hear lots of different things. Plus the socialization is awesome, thank god Best Buy here will let her come in with me as she absolutely loves it. She will not be an ADA dog but more along the lines of SAR. We have done SCH but, the club really turned me off to the sport. Has any one done this or is this pretty bad to do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to RockinIt
This is just my opinion (so take it for what it's worth), but I find trying to pass off a non-service dog as a service dog to be in very bad taste. To me it is the same as someone borrowing their grandmother's handicap tag so they can get a good parking spot when they're running late for something. You could simply ask to speak to the manager of whatever store you're wanting to go into and explain what you are training your dog for. If they let you in, great (get the permission in writing for later visits perhaps?), if not...there are plenty of other places to socialize your dog.

.:Megan:. Married to bigdavejoker

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is wrong. If this is really going to be a SAR dog? (I am not sure I understand "along the lines of SAR")....then it is not something you need anyway or can get enough of during training (for example we have done some training in a dark abandoned warehouse with permission which is nothing like a well lit store, but more realistic for a search scenario) and disasster dogs have their own mock ups for training.

. Home Depot is pretty good about letting dogs in as are pet stores and farm stores. That should be enough.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

It's not just in bad taste. It's illegal as far as I know. If you are doing it simply for socialization purposes, many stores will let you in if you call and ask.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

You could potentially get in trouble if you are found out...I wouldn't lie because the consequences can be bad and can harm future service dogs.

Go to the business and speak to the manager in person, and request for a one on one meeting between him and your dog. Prove your dog's friendliness and ask if you can schedule times to come in (perhaps when it isn't super busy) so that you and the manager are happy!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Knighted Member

It's definitely a no no and hear is why. If you are disabled and NEED your SD to perform daily tasks for you inside and outside of your home your dog is in fact your lifeline. So if some yahoo with a fake vest brings their dog into a public place and that dog bites, destroys something, potties, or misbehaves in anyway you and your dog just jeopardized someone's lifeline It only takes a few instances to royally screw it up for the people who need those dogs so please ask for permission don't fake having an SD
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
It's definitely a no no and hear is why. If you are disabled and NEED your SD to perform daily tasks for you inside and outside of your home your dog is in fact your lifeline. So if some yahoo with a fake vest brings their dog into a public place and that dog bites, destroys something, potties, or misbehaves in anyway you and your dog just jeopardized someone's lifeline It only takes a few instances to royally screw it up for the people who need those dogs so please ask for permission don't fake having an SD
I agree 200% with this post. There are a lot of places you can take your dog. Most of the pet stores have a huge number of smells. Here there is Costco and they let well behaved pets in. Like the others said, if you call and ask there are a lot of stores that will work with you. If you want socialization you can get that outside any store! This is my pet peeve as I have a service dog and it is getting harder and harder with more and more....I will be nice and say..persons... pretending their dogs are service dogs. My dog is as necessary to me as a wheel chair is to someone who cant walk. Would you go someplace with a wheel chair just so you could get a better seat or a closer parking lot.

Sorry for the rant but it is something I have been fighting and I find myself going out less and less because of it.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Knighted Member

I said hear and not here...face palm I need sleep,lol
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with all the above, completely immoral and not helping the SD's...they have enough problems entering establishments, schools and everywhere else...trying to "prove" their worthiness in public.
I think it is a shameful thing to do to have your dog pose as one.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM

There are enough legal/morally acceptable locations you can expose your dog to scents without having to resort to such a "plan". There is no reason to have to try to pass your dog off as something she is not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page