Teaching the "GO Out" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Teaching the "GO Out"

We are beginning to start this and i was wondering if anyone has any good sources of training this on your own? I.E. Book or video?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

For AKC Utility or for Schutzhund?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Whoops! Forgot this distinction! Eventually both but probably AKC first unless I can't find some good material, then I would go ScH first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I like the "retrieve" method of training the go-out since my dogs are very retrieve oriented. I use a large plastic lid like from a coffee can (clear is best). In training there are always "THREE" go-outs. At first, the dog retrieves every go-out. When the dog is doing well and going straight to the target I switch to a smaller target (Pringles can lid works great), still doing THREE retrieves. When the smaller target is no problem I start adding myself following the dog to the target, preparing the dog for the stop and sit. When following the dog causes no problems I add the turn and sit before the target, alternating between the target retrieve and the turn and sit. When the turn and sit is mastered, then I do TWO turn and sits and ONE retrieve. In a trial there will only be TWO go-outs, but in training there are always THREE to keep up the speed and straightness of the go-outs.

Hope this helps. It is a training method that I developed for my GSD's.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

I use Connie Cleveland's method some.

J and J Dog Supplies: Dogs are Problem Solvers

After going to a Sandy Koustsky seminar, I have been also adding target training to the go-out work.

There are many ways to teach it.

Last edited by Samba; 02-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks to both of you! very helpful!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Master Member

I've trained go-outs a bunch of different ways....food on the gate, visible target, hidden target, retrieve item. I've moved to teaching a touch at the go-out point: paw, nose, shoulder, depends on the dog. After the touch is consistent at short distances, I add an automatic sit. Yes really, I teach the dog to sit automatically after the touch, and I want the dog to sit with their butt touching the target. No matter what kind of ring you're in, there's SOMETHING at the end of the ring....a wall, a ring gate, a stake holding a rope. In this area (NJ) it's almost always a ring gate and stanchion.

In Utility A, 3 of the most common issues with go-outs are 1) the dog not going out far enough (either pulling up short enough to NQ, or short enough to make it difficult to jump) 2) the dog doing corner go-outs (big points off, and the dog better be good at cross-jumping) or 3) the dog goes out, turns around, and immediately heads for a jump (a big fat NQ) . A 4th less serious issue is no-sits on the go-outs (3 point deduction). Dogs that are taught to touch and then sit will, at the very least, end up at the far end of the ring where they will have enough room to jump. This gives the dog a much better chance at qualifying on the exercise. In a trial situation many dogs pull up short of actually touching on the go-out, and if we've already NQ'd an exercise I'll encourage my dog to go all the way out and touch the gate/wall/whatever.

I'm finding that teaching the dog to sit automatically after he touches the stanchion takes a lot of questions out of his mind. I think he's less likely to turn and stand, or turn and automatically head for a jump.

No matter what, the most important thing is to do lots of reps in lots of different places. The more different places you get to, the better and more consistent your go-outs will be.

Hope this makes some sense!

--Regina and the GSDs:
P.A.M. FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT
P.A.M. Monster Mike SchH2,UD,TD,RE
,VER,Can/UKC/ASCA CD (8/10 UDX)
von Sontausen Holy Grail (The BUNNY!)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Hi, Regina! Boy, you and Monster have been busy.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Master Member

Hi Daphne, long time no see!

Yeah Mikey has been a busy boy. He'll be 8 on Thursday! Hopefully we'll get those last 2 UDX legs next month. We'd be long done with that except we've had to work thru some "Oh I think I'll lie down now!" on his sit stays.....

Hope you and your dogs are well!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Master Member

I'm a Michael Ellis junkie. I got his video on the send out, and I'm having better than expected luck with it. He does address differences in AKC, Schutzhund , and Mondio.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page