Hondo's attraction to Welding Gloves - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hondo's attraction to Welding Gloves

Hondo has very little drive to play tug. He just never has. Saturday, I had on a pair of welding gloves, helping hubby. When we were finished, I started playing with Hondo with the gloves on. Hondo latched on the gloves and would tug hard enough that it knocked me over. He NEVER has applied any true tug pressure before. He'd just simply release and wait for me to throw it.

When I'd release the glove to him, he'd drop it on the ground and wait for me to put it back on. This is so very unlike Hondo at all. I even bought a hand puppet once that had a squeaky in it to try to interest him in playing tug, and he just couldn't care any less.

What could it be about the welding gloves that turns him on so much? He shows no interest in any other gloves, I wear riding gloves all the time.

Is this a dangerous 'game' to play? I had him chasing me and leaping for the gloves. He won't even do that for a ball. This is so out of charector for him.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to crewchief_chick
have you ever played with him with the welding gloves before? handled any other form of material, animal stuff, anything like that?

Could be a smell or a taste clinging to the leather that he's goin bonkers after....or he likes the feeling of whatever they are made out of it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief_chick View Post
have you ever played with him with the welding gloves before? handled any other form of material, animal stuff, anything like that?

Could be a smell or a taste clinging to the leather that he's goin bonkers after....or he likes the feeling of whatever they are made out of it.
No, I've never tried to play with him with welding gloves before. And they were brand new. My riding gloves would smell like different critters. And I didn't actually weld with them, I only used them to handle the project hubby was working on.

Hmmm, I wonder if you're on to something about the feeling of them. Because they are so thick?

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Last night, I went home excited that I now have a new drive focus for Hondo. While at work I was thinking of all the new things I can teach him utilizing the gloves. Hold it, being one.

I got home and rushed through my chores. Filled my pocket with treats, took Hondo out in the pasture...put on the gloves......and nothing. Just a sniff and "yea, so?" Nothing I could do would replicate the reaction he got from the gloves last weekend.
So I threw the glove...and he brought it back...I threw the glove...he brought it back...*sigh*

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Perhaps he wants to be a welder? Sorry had to toss that out... Maybe your GSD is an engineer at heart!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polistes View Post
Perhaps he wants to be a welder? Sorry had to toss that out... Maybe your GSD is an engineer at heart!
Well, since he lost interest in the gloves already...I suppose he wants to be a government employee.....

Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM

That works too LOL

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

Hahaha! I got excited because we use welding gloves to load the woodstove. I thought maybe I was onto a hot tip for a toy motivator. Oh well.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page