Upcoming Obed Trial - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Upcoming Obed Trial

Well, after 2 run throughs at a local match yesterday, I certainly know what I need to sharpen up on before our trial next Saturday. Tori has CD legs thus far (scores 189.5, 190.5), we are hoping to finish her CD on the 25th. Last night she demonstrated how beautifully she can perform all of the exercises (really nice job), until/unless she gets distracted by: a familiar face ringside (there are lots of those!), a squeaky toy in another part of the building, the sound of the overhead fan kicking on, the door opening, a potential dog-friend walking past the open gate, etc. You get the picture. When she is "on", she's REALLY on. When she's just playing around, it gets a lot more sloppy. But, I guess if her tail is wagging, no harm done....

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Elite Member

How do you reward/treat Tori? I was using food as a motivator with Yoko for the first couple of years. Her toys were too much for her to handle (they had more value for her than food). We have since switched to a toy for reward. Needed to up the anty. I have now started to work her right before we enter the ring, using the toy for motivation. She gets rewarded, then we start over. Right before we enter the ring, I have the toy in hand, have her focus, put the toy out of sight (like I always do when training). Toy would be in your right hand, perhaps against your thigh, should have eye contact with dog, heel toward ring, drop toy (or hand to someone you have set up waiting for you). Dog thinks toy is still on you, unbelievable focus in the ring.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Interesting idea, Dawn. I use treats to reward Tori -- she is VERY food motivated. She is also chronically happy, and very social. The hard part with her is getting her to maintain focus on the exercise when she wants to visit the other dogs & people near the ring. She once NQ'd on the stand for exam because (in Tori's mind) the judge took too long to come and say hello, so she went to him. Judge wasn't impressed with that, so Tori then did a perfect finish to the Judge. She couldn't figure out why no one was rewarding her...

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

How have you proofed for distractions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page