Is it easier to teach certain breeds certain tricks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is it easier to teach certain breeds certain tricks?

Is it easier to teach certain breeds, specifically the German Shepherd, certain tricks like "Speak" and "Fetch"?

For example, I tried to teach Lucy "fetch" and "speak", but failed. However, her breed was one that didn't bark a lot nor have any sporting background.

I'm just wondering if she were a German Shepherd would I have failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Knighted Member

GSDs are definitely easier to train than a lot of other breeds.
Most things I only have to show Jax about 5x before he gets it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM

I think it's individual dogs, but that's just my opinion. I have a Pomeranian who I have trained to sit, stand, walk, hop, fetch, speak, jump up and dance. Oh, and I have a Youtube video of him catching stuff in his mouth that was thrown across the table at him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

Certain breeds do tend to be good at certain tricks and some individuals better than others. The herding breeds should all have a good aptitude for trick training. That said, a trainer who is determined can usually train just about any dog to speak or play fetch - some just take a very long time
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Lately I've been privately training, doing obedience with a Golden retriever owner/trainer.
She is very respected for her obedience/handling, etc gotten several titles with them and is also known for a bit of 'compulsion' type training/not afraid to use an e-collar for retrieves or other exercises if needed, and is a pretty no nonsense worker.
She comments often on how smart Karlo is and how he is such a thinker. Not sure if she says that to all her clients, but I could see a change in her opinion of him in the 4 or 5 sessions we've gone there. First she was a bit leary of his breed, I think. She lectured a bit on leadership, and making sure my family and my leadership was strong for this breed/ how did my kids deal with him, etc.
And now after seeing his biddability and willingness to work, she knows he is not much different(or intimidating) than her goldens. She even said he was one of her favorite clients last time! How could he not be?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-18-2011 at 10:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

Some dogs are definitely more intelligent than others, and regardless of intelligence some dogs are more interested/willing to learn and work and have a DESIRE to do so, vs some that aren't really interested or the trainer hasn't found what motivates the dog.

I will say though that my malinois is heads and tails more trainable than any GSD I've ever dealt with. You show him something once and as soon as he understands what you want, he'll do it over and over. He has such a desire to learn and please is just blows my mind why I waited so many years to get one. I bought into the "crazy Malinois are GSD's on crack" jokes and thought the breed was nuts and would never make a good active "pet." Still love the GSD and my SO is a GSD nut to, so we'll likely always have one or two around. But I don't think I'll ever not have a Malinois from here on out. They are just awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page