What drives your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

What drives your dog?

My Schindler boy is not food driven. I have tried a few different kinds of treats and he just doesnt care about them. I mean he will eat them, but it they don't motivate him. Even the trainer couldnt believe his lack of response for treats. What drives your dog? I'm not sure what else to try....I'm new to GSD's....Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Knighted Member

a favorite toy? I have a few special toys that we only use for training (the are put away) and his reward becomes a few seconds playing tug etc. He seems to LOVE to train when he knows I pull out the special toys. Also make sure he is HUNGRY when you are using food. If I work with Jake it's before a meal. I learned that the hard way. (sigh)
If your dog is hungry they will show an interest. Also what are you using for training treats? Cheese, hotdogs, Nb rolls, cheerios? Keep the food reward high value, not something he gets all the time.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Frisbee when outside and her ruffwear egg when inside. She is very much not food driven. However, my trainer does believe we can build her food drive up to her toy drive.

Have you tried a tug with him? You really don't want anything you have to throw away from you when first starting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
a favorite toy? I have a few special toys that we only use for training (the are put away) and his reward becomes a few seconds playing tug etc. He seems to LOVE to train when he knows I pull out the special toys. Also make sure he is HUNGRY when you are using food. If I work with Jake it's before a meal. I learned that the hard way. (sigh)
If your dog is hungry they will show an interest. Also what are you using for training treats? Cheese, hotdogs, Nb rolls, cheerios? Keep the food reward high value, not something he gets all the time.
Thanks! I am actually researching dog food because sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesnt. I am thinking he doesnt like his food. So the hungry thing is very hit or miss.

I havent tried to train with his tug. Me being an amatuer started the bad game of keep away. We would have fun...run and play, but now he finds it more amusing to run with the toy then to play tug. I need to get a new toy just for training....good idea!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraLovey View Post
My Schindler boy is not food driven. I have tried a few different kinds of treats and he just doesnt care about them. I mean he will eat them, but it they don't motivate him. Even the trainer couldnt believe his lack of response for treats. What drives your dog? I'm not sure what else to try....I'm new to GSD's....Help!

When my boy was a 6 months old we started our first OB class. Nothing motivated him. Even his favorite treats at home did nothing for him. He acted as though he was bored out of his mind. So I resorted to his most valued treat...chicken! I boiled a whole chicken and pulled all of the meat of it. I carried a sandwich bag with chicken when we went to class. He was always at attention when I had chicken.

During our practice for STAR puppy, I brought his squeaky toy as well. I kept it deep in my pocket so when I saw him start to loose focus, I'd give it a little squeak and he'd focus on me again!

Now he is 17 months old and I don't have a problem with his drive. He pretty much likes everything when training...he'll even do it for his normal kibble.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Are you free feeding by chance?

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mostly I think what my problem is, is that I'm clueless on training and obedience. I can't seem to find any obedience training in my area except petsmart. No training clubs or anything. I have found 2 and gotten no response
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Are you free feeding by chance?
What is free feeding? That the food dish stays out all day? If so, then yes. I leave the food out. This is a " no no" right?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Yep...free feeding is a bad idea if you're trying to increase food drive

Bowl stays down 10 minutes. Then comes up until the next meal. You'll be amazed at how quickly MOST (not all, though) dogs decide food is AMAZING and every bite it to savored.

Why would she have any desire to work for food when it's in front of her face 24/7?

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Yep...free feeding is a bad idea if you're trying to increase food drive

Bowl stays down 10 minutes. Then comes up until the next meal. You'll be amazed at how quickly MOST (not all, though) dogs decide food is AMAZING and every bite it to savored.

Why would she have any desire to work for food when it's in front of her face 24/7?

Makes complete sense. This is my next step He is just so dang finicky. He is already underweight so I guess I just get nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page