How long, and how much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

How long, and how much?

Hey guys! Okay I was wondering how long should I train with a clicker everyday. I was told 20 mins once a day... What is the best training routine? May I train constantly durring the day, or is it best not too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

As long as he's willing and eager... end the training while he still wants more. This is usually something around 15, but you'll have to make a call yourself by paying attention to his demeanor

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

The younger the pup, the shorter their attention span, so the shorter the training periods. It's a better idea to many short training periods throughout the day rather than one big long one. You want to quit before your pup loses his enthouziasm.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

It'll also change day to day... some days he may never want to stop.. some days you'll never even really start before you call it for the day

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

Start with five minutes and build up the time. 20 minutes is a long time. 5-10 minute training sessions are great, even for adult dogs.

Always end training on a positive note.

Set up the dog to succeed and praise him for it. The alternative is to set him up to fail and correct him for it. You can get there either way, but the former is more enjoyable.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Start with five minutes and build up the time. 20 minutes is a long time. 5-10 minute training sessions are great, even for adult dogs.

Always end training on a positive note.

Set up the dog to succeed and praise him for it. The alternative is to set him up to fail and correct him for it. You can get there either way, but the former is more enjoyable.
I train like selzer and also think 20 minutes is kind of a long time. Unless that included quite a few rousing games of tug/fetch in between the stuff with the clicker....

You always want to leave them standing there wanting more!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

i didn't clicker train but i use to train in sessions.
each session last 5 or 10 minutes. i would get up
an hour earlier for work i would get up at 4am or 4:30 am
and train the pup. between 4:00 am and 6:15 am i would
have 3 or 4 sessions. my GF would get up an hour
earlier and have 3 or 4 sessions. so, before 9:00 am
our pup would have 6 to 8 sessions. between noon and 5:00 pm
another 6 to 8 sessions. between 6:00 pm and 11:00/12:00 pm
another 6 to 8 sessions. keep in mind each session last for
5 to 10 minutes. we trained one thing at a time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Good morning to all of you! Thanks for the help! When you guys say to end on a positive note? Does that mean like tossing him a toy at the end? What if I durring the day I need to ask him to "sit", and he has been only told to sit durring the training lessons should I bring a clicker and treats around all day? I taught my cat to sit, and wave. Now I find him standing up waving hoping that I would give him a treat throughout the day. So what if my dog starts doing the same? Should I click, and give him a treat even I did not ask it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Elite Member

I also train like Selzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
Good morning to all of you! Thanks for the help! When you guys say to end on a positive note? Does that mean like tossing him a toy at the end? What if I durring the day I need to ask him to "sit", and he has been only told to sit durring the training lessons should I bring a clicker and treats around all day? I taught my cat to sit, and wave. Now I find him standing up waving hoping that I would give him a treat throughout the day. So what if my dog starts doing the same? Should I click, and give him a treat even I did not ask it?
Ending on a positive note means to end it when he's done a good job on what you're asking. So, if you're asking for a sit and you've been luring and it's been difficult and he does it more quickly or, even better, offers it before you lure - then end it right there with a big party (lots of small treats - jackpotting - or a toy is also fantastic). You want to end on that versus if they're doing something not entirely correct and you're having to reposition or remind them - that's not a good note to end. You want to end with them succeeding!

No, you don't need to bring clicker and treats around lol. If you're going for a walk then it might be good - or bring a toy if he's toy driven because it's easier to tote around. If you don't ask for something and they offer it at an appopriate time, praise is fine. The clicker is for marking something you DID ask for. You can replace with a word marker if you end up asking for something and you don't have your clicker with you - I use "yes" as a marker and "good boy!" as praise.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I'm happy that I don't have to bring treats around all the time!!
I would end up smelling like a dog magnet!!Thanks once again every body your replies where really helpful for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page