Boosting confidence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Boosting confidence

It was pointed out in another one of my threads that it is possible my boy has a confidence issue. I have had him for 3 months and looking back I think that person hit the nail on the head. He lived the first 2yrs of his life in a fenced in yard before I adopted him. What can I do to boost his confidence??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraLovey View Post
It was pointed out in another one of my threads that it is possible my boy has a confidence issue. I have had him for 3 months and looking back I think that person hit the nail on the head. He lived the first 2yrs of his life in a fenced in yard before I adopted him. What can I do to boost his confidence??
Exposure to new stimuli, but make sure he is not overstimulated or shutting down in fear. Bitework with a skilled helper is an excellent confidence builder. Really all training is a good confidence builder. Go for a walk and if you see someone, ask if they would like to treat your dog, and give them some treats... is there anything specifically he is scared of?

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 02-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Obedience classes!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Really all training is a good confidence builder.
This. Have you ever been to a class with your dog? Even just training at home where he gets praised a lot with help build his confidence.

You've only had him 3 months, you guys are still building a relationship. Lots of fun activities together (all positive) will help with his confidence and your bond.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Exposure to new stimuli, but make sure he is not overstimulated or shutting down in fear. Bitework with a skilled helper is an excellent confidence builder. Really all training is a good confidence builder. Go for a walk and if you see someone, ask if they would like to treat your dog, and give them some treats... is there anything specifically he is scared of?

He isnt really scared of much. He gets very cautious when around other dogs and other people, but still wags his tail. He gets scared/runs away when I change the tone of my voice to the "no no" voice, which I do very rarely...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
This. Have you ever been to a class with your dog? Even just training at home where he gets praised a lot with help build his confidence.

You've only had him 3 months, you guys are still building a relationship. Lots of fun activities together (all positive) will help with his confidence and your bond.

We are scheduled to start our first obedience class next week. We tested out of the beginner class
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Great! That's going to do a lot for your confidence as well. Stosh needed some confidence building after the shooting incident and even though he was beyond basic obedience in experience, we went back to the basics. The time together, him knowing he can trust you, the successes he'll have, will all build on one another.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
Great! That's going to do a lot for your confidence as well. Stosh needed some confidence building after the shooting incident and even though he was beyond basic obedience in experience, we went back to the basics. The time together, him knowing he can trust you, the successes he'll have, will all build on one another.

I was just reading about that the other day!

I am really looking forward to the classes. I am very new at everything...being a 3 month old GSD owner...There is a lot more to learn and get comfortable/confident with!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraLovey View Post
He gets scared/runs away when I change the tone of my voice to the "no no" voice, which I do very rarely...
This probably means he was taught with compulsion/negative reinforcement only or primarily. If that is the case then his expectation is that if you are displeased, a beating is coming his way. Better to only do positive reinforcement with him, and avoid any scenerio where negative might be used appropriately with other dogs.

If its just a general wariness around other dogs and people, I'd bet thats just something some confidence would address. If he is abnormally scared of something in particular then you may have to address that differenetly

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 02-01-2011 at 04:37 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

You are probably right. When you say positive reinforcement does that mean when he does something wrong, show him the right way to do it and then praise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page