Update - trading dogs at OB classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Update - trading dogs at OB classes

Just wanted to update this: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...terrified.html

We never did this exercise in novice class, but today in Dante's first advanced OB class, we traded multiple times and had 5 or 6 different handlers work different dogs briefly. Dante was a totally different dog! He wasn't nervous or scared at all, he was respectful and obedient with the other handlers and not skittish at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Thats so great! Dante has really made leaps since November.

Is it optional to trade handlers though? I'm really not interested in doing that, especially since there are parts of the training that I alter to my own needs. So I'm trying to imagine how that would work. I know I've done that before in classes with Tessa, but that was so long ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.

Last edited by Lin; 01-26-2011 at 10:19 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Thats so great! Dante has really made leaps since November.

Is it optional to trade handlers though? I'm really not interested in doing that, especially since there are parts of the training that I alter to my own needs. So I'm trying to imagine how that would work. I know I've done that before in classes with Tessa, but that was so long ago.
I'm not sure, I guess you could entirely opt out of it if you wanted to. I was going to talk to him about that if the exercise had reoccured when he was young and completely terrified, but luckily he had time to grow up and get a lot more training under his belt before it happened again.

He ran the exercise after a solid heeling warmup with some circles and about turns....he'd have everyone put them in a sit, then walk a few dogs forward, do a couple laps with that dog, then everyone would sit, then go back 7 dogs, a couple laps, then forward 2 dogs, etc.

I would imagine if you explained to him, he wouldn't mind. It was very laid back, more of a socialization experience than anything. I didn't see anyone really drilling someone elses dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Banned

Sounds like a great idea, esp. with young dogs. Some older ones might have a problem I would say.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Crowned Member

I would never do this. I do not expect my dog to work for anyone else and I definitely don't trust anyone else to handle him correctly and not screw him up. I am all for your dog being good about being handled and being good about letting someone else hang on to him, but absolutely not working my dog.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

I enjoyed the class I was in with our male GSD where the instructor did this. She did do it on a voluntary basis which was nice. And Baron was such a friendly outgoing, confident dog even as a puppy so he really enjoyed it also. He really likes most other people and saw it as a chance to do just that. I could see it though, maybe not so good if your dog had some issues with other people. Unless they are aggresive with other folks it might actually help a lot of dogs with their socialization and even help avoid any hints of SA.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
The trainer wanted to do this in Shasta's beginner OB class and I refused to handle one of the dogs. It was a pug but it scared the crap out of me. Nasty little thing.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
I would never do this. I do not expect my dog to work for anyone else and I definitely don't trust anyone else to handle him correctly and not screw him up. I am all for your dog being good about being handled and being good about letting someone else hang on to him, but absolutely not working my dog.
ehh I was in the room with him, I knew no one was going to screw him up. IMHO if a dogs training gets messed up walking in circles with someone else on a heel then there is a problem with the dogs training. It was very basic stuff, just a loose lead heel and a few circles, about turns, etc. Nothing difficult. The idea was to socialize, not train.

Regarding young vs older - if you read the original post, you'll see that when he was younger he was terrified during this exercise, whereas now that he's a bit older he did excellent. All a matter of perspective I suppose. Regardless of others opinions on the exercise, I am proud of my boy because we've worked hard to overcome the shy temperament.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Just wanted to update this: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...terrified.html

We never did this exercise in novice class, but today in Dante's first advanced OB class, we traded multiple times and had 5 or 6 different handlers work different dogs briefly. Dante was a totally different dog! He wasn't nervous or scared at all, he was respectful and obedient with the other handlers and not skittish at all.
Wonderful news, thanks for the update!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

We did this in my Rally class on a typical Rally Novice course. You'd be surprized how well the dogs do with a different handler. Even Balto, who I trained with Dutch commands, did well listening to English commands. Shows you it's not all in the language.

I had somebody's Corgi, who did okay, but wasn't going to win any rewards. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page