Crate training suggestions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Crate training suggestions?

I am *trying* to get Ellie crate trained so that she will hang out in there and be fine when I leave for a few hours at a time. The crate is in our bedroom and she will sleep in there with the door latched closed all night long until I let her out in the morning. But if she knows I'm gone, then she will freak out.

Yesterday morning, I didn't let her out in the morning, but rather left her there while I went to the gym for 30 min, came back and a suitcase i had next to the crate was knocked over, and the blanket that is draped over it was pulled halfway through one of the holes!

Any suggestions on how to get her used to being okay in there while she's home alone?

(She is fine being home alone, but she gets up on the bed which I do not want)

@Ellie_dog 's Mom
~My dog makes me smile at least 20 times a day~

Proud supporter of pet shelters, pet seat belts, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Master Member

Tough love would be my only answer. That's what I would do anyway. She can fuss all she wants but after awhile she will realize nothing comes of it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Feed her in the crate.

Never be excited when she comes out of the crate. Open the door mater of factly, walk her to the door, let her relieve herself and then get excited.

Learn crate games (youtube it).

Dog training in the NYC area!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadog View Post
Feed her in the crate.

Never be excited when she comes out of the crate. Open the door mater of factly, walk her to the door, let her relieve herself and then get excited.

Learn crate games (youtube it).

This is exactly what I am doing with my 7 1/2 week old. She hated it the first couple of nights but now she doing great in it. I feed her in it and she gets really excited and goes in the crate and eats. Then when I get off of work I go to the crate and she isnt overly excited when coming out and the first thing she does is go outside and relieve herself and then goes into play mode.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Crate Games can be found on Clean Run: Crate Games for Self-Control & Motivation DVD

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips, I will look into crate games. Ellie is fine being in there when there are people home, but it's knowing that we left that gets her all worked up...

@Ellie_dog 's Mom
~My dog makes me smile at least 20 times a day~

Proud supporter of pet shelters, pet seat belts, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page