Stupid owner, bored mutt - please help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Stupid owner, bored mutt - please help!

I need to find an occupation for my dog to do that will keep him stimulated as he is really bored. I am quite a dull owner.

Anyway I read about people getting their dog to pick up socks, pull carts and do circus tricks. I have no idea how to teach him these things, please talk me through it. I do have a pile of logs in th yard and I thought I could get him to move them from one spot to another spot each day just to give him a task. But how do I teach him to do this?

I will post on another thread about his other bad habits but one thing at a time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Crowned Member

For training specific behaviors that you are describing, I think clicker training is the way to go. Get some books by Karen Pryor to get you started. You can see lots of cool clicker training videos on YouTube.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

I agree--search on youtube. The clicker works really fast, you sit the dog down, click and immediately give him a treat. Do this about 20 times so he knows click=treat. Take him out to the pile of logs and let him mess around with them. If he puts his mouth on one, click and treat. Don't tell him to do anything just identify the behavior you want by clicking and treating when he puts his mouth on it. If he picks one up, click and treat big time with several treats. Once he catches on that you want him to pick up the log, call him to the other side of the yard and click and treat. Eventually you can give a command like 'timber' or 'carry' or whatever you want and he can do it on command. Clickers identify the desired behavior first, then reinforce the performance of the behavior after a command. But start with sit or down or something easy. That's my Reader's Digest version of how to teach him to move a log.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

In general, I'd find some great dog trainers and sign up for classes. There are so many different kinds of training now (agility is the best, but of course other confused people would recommend rally, tracking, obedience, herding, dock dogs, flyball, ......)

In conjunction with that, I absolutely agree that YOU learning to use a clicker is a fantastic way to teach a clever dog anything you'd ever want it to learn. All fun, positive, tons of treats constantly coming at your pup....

Here's some great info to start up with:

Clicker Training: Marking Your Dog's Successful Behavior

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. He does know his basics but that was about it. I taught him the word "find it" today and he slept for three hours solidly so that must have worked! Lol!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Tab289's YouTube channel has lots of how-to training videos, I think there is one there that teaches picking things up and putting them in the wash, if I'm not mistaken. Also, back up, pick up their own toys, cover their eyes, etc.

YouTube - tab289's Channel

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

paula I love love love his video's and his dog is beautiful. We've used his video's in the past to teach Shadow some things.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

I like this book. It teaches you clicker training.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1592533256/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295990595&sr=1-1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Knighted Member

I have this book, it's great and is step by step! Molly and I only have about 99 more to learn from it

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Shadow's Mum, I love Solea, probably because she looks a bit like Shasta. Shasta is cuter, of course! I like to watch the videos for motivation!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page