Do you think your "Alpha" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do you think your "Alpha"

LEE CHARLES KELLEY

I found this article from another thread that was on this board. I just got done reading a lot of his things with an open mind and I have to say I like a lot of the things that he says.....a lot of common sense things. Read some of his things and let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

Very interesting and it all makes perfect sense to me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for your input Jax, I do have to admit that I was always more "correction" than positive, I have changed my ways a lot from 20 years ago but I still find there are times I may be still a bit too "hard".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali Girl View Post
Thanks for your input Jax, I do have to admit that I was always more "correction" than positive, I have changed my ways a lot from 20 years ago but I still find there are times I may be still a bit too "hard".
I think the hardest thing for me is to stay positive even though there was a delayed reaction to the action I was requesting from my dog. An example would be 'leave it' when the dog is barking at the fence at a horse. He is already engaged in his action which makes it more difficult to redirect, but had I redirected him before he became fully engaged the redirection is immediate.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

I've learned alot with Jax. I originally trained her with the Alpha mentality and strictly with a prong collar in a compulsive manner. Now I get to spend the rest of her life fixing what I did. We are having a lot of fun retraining in a positive manner and tapping into her natural drive rather than shutting it down with a correction.

But I never did buy for a minute that if you allow dogs to lay on the couch with you that they think they are equal to you and think of you as a pack member along with the rest of the jazz that goes with it. She knows people aren't dogs. I have a dog reactive dog..if she thought people were dogs then she would also be people reactive if you follow that theory. The Alpha theory just never really made sense to me. Maybe that's why it didn't take me long to question it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali Girl View Post
LEE CHARLES KELLEY

I found this article from another thread that was on this board. I just got done reading a lot of his things with an open mind and I have to say I like a lot of the things that he says.....a lot of common sense things. Read some of his things and let me know what you think.
Interesting article and theory except if you took it to another length - does he also mean that a small dog looks at a big dog as a predator instead of another dog? Or a puppy looking at an adult as a predator? Sounds like it would follow, if the theory is as I assume he says it is - the human height is the distinguishing factor. Or how about a human sitting in a wheelchair with a big dog (i.e. Great Dane) they would be about even like two same size dogs, wouldn't they?

Nope, afraid I can't buy the theory as the author concieves it.

And if there is no "Alpha" in a wild pack - wonder who decides where the pack goes and when they hunt, and who has puppies (do all of the females breed every year?). Maybe randomly decided? Discussion group?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am kind of torn on this cod? Not too sure if I buy into everything on this but he does have a lot of research to back it up, like the one with Mech and the wolves. Mech is or is supposed to be "the guy" when it comes to wolves.

Plus the people that don't buy into the "Alpha" theory but still practice NILIF and things of that nature would be contradicting themselves wouldn't they? I mean in a sense you are dominating you dog while doing NILIF, maybe not in a physical sense but you are still "making" him or her do something for a reaction.

IMO, I like NILIF and I think it works for me, I also have had great sucess with recalls from a long line and a prong collar, I guess there are many ways to skin a cat. Just trying to get peoples theory's and lets hope no one gets angry lol
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Knighted Member

To be honest I do not believe the pack leader theory! I look at it more as a father daughter relationship. I simply love her every day and guide her to make the right decision with tonnes of patients. Molly sleeps in my bed, sits next to me on the couch and does all the other things the pack leader theory say not to do. We do have hick ups once in a while but always seem to manage

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Interesting article, but it is about wolves. Dogs haven't been wolves for a million years and there is no reason that they should be so closely compared to them. Humans share most of their DNA with apes but we don't expect humans to act like them. Naturally I can only speak for myself and it seems to me that I am alpha in my relationship with my dog.
As far as training goes I am not harsh or very controlling. I don't use special collars to hurt the dog if she is not doing what I want. Some call it correcting, I call it hurting .... just put one on an try it yourself. As for NILIF I think that is fine for people who have control issues. I have a much more easy going relationship and as a result I have an easy going dog. It is said that if you want to understand a dog just look at its owner.
For some strange reason, all my dogs have been easy going, although they didn't start out that way.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Paddy, here is what the author said about that.......
LEE CHARLES KELLEY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page