Dont Eat That! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dont Eat That!

My cousin is still in the process of finding a trainer for her 9 month old Rottweiler puppy, she called 3 different places and left messages with them and none of them called her back? I told her she needs to try them again but she hasn't tried yet.

Biff (the Rott) eats whatever falls on the floor, wether it's food, plastic or a hair tye, he will snatch it before we can even react. So last night I figured I would help her out and teach her how to stop it.

This is what I did...........

I had some treats in my hand and I had Biff sit. I told him to stay and I acted like I threw a treat, when he went to move I made a "ah ah" noise and he stopped and looked back at me, I had to do this several times before he figured out that he was supposed to stay there and look at me. Finally I threw the treat and he almost got up but changed his mind and stayed there and looked at me and then I said "good boy Biff" and gave him a treat from my hand. The other treat remained on the floor while I threw another, Biff didn't move a muscle! He sat and looked right at me and then I gave him another treat from my hand leaving the other treat on the ground. I had my cousin do it exactly the way I was doing it and she did great! After about 15 minutes there were about 10 treats on the floor and he didn't attempt to go after any of them. Then I brought Sinister out, he has already been trained to ignore food and items on the floor but I wanted to see if both of them could do it while by each other. They did great! No one made any attempts to go after the treats! We picked all of the treats up and made both dogs sit, lay down, speak and shake for them.

My cousin was very happy that he listened to her and she is excited about working with him on other things. I told her we should do this again with him tomorrow. If she is willing to let me help her and if she is willing to put in the work then I will show her the methods I used to train Sin and I will help her train Biff.

Good job Biff!!!!!!!

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Knighted Member

Great job and a really good idea for any puppy. They always want things in their mouths and a good "leave it" will save their life in a bad situation.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Way to go LaRen!!!

Good job showing your cousin how easy it is to train. Hopefully she will like the results she is getting and get the itch to learn and train more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Crowned Member

LaRen,
Did she call Tops in Grayslake?

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
LaRen,
Did she call Tops in Grayslake?
Yes, she called them right in front of me and left a message with them and they never called her back. She also called Mary Domes in Kenosha, WI and she didn't call her back either? She told me she left a message with a 3rd trainer that is in Winthrop Harbor but I dont recall their name.

Lauren

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

Tell her to try Tops again....also "leave our name for reference"...Carlos & Robin Huerta of Huerta Hof German Shepherds. They have referred several people to us for dogs and have purchased some for Police K9's.
I don't understand why they have not returned a call...they are usually very good about it?!
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Tell her to try Tops again....also "leave our name for reference"...Carlos & Robin Huerta of Huerta Hof German Shepherds. They have referred several people to us for dogs and have purchased some for Police K9's.
I don't understand why they have not returned a call...they are usually very good about it?!
Robin
I dont know either, they were recommend by alot of people, but they haven't called her back.

Thank you Robin! I will have her call again and leave a message with you guys as a reference. I will let you know if they call back. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Lauren

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

omg laren...you said something nice about Biff aaww

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
omg laren...you said something nice about Biff aaww
Oh shut up Joshua.

I like Biff, he just drives me insane that's all.

Lauren

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM

a little know how goes a long way nice job fun to teach isnt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page