Training ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Training ideas

I am a first time GSD owner. Schindler is a 2yr old GSD and I have had him for 3 months. Before I adopted him he spent the first two years of his life in a fenced in back yard. He had basic manners like, sit, lay down, and come. He is extremely well behaved considering his lack of interaction the first 2 years. When I first brought him home he knew nothing about indoor manners. lol. He was scared of ceiling fans, blow dryers, and pretty much anything with sudden movements or loud noises. He is very comfortable in the house now. I have given him tons of love and affirmation. He doesnt beg for people food, He lays on his bed when told. Mostly he just loves getting love He is so well behaved. I am just trying to find ideas for continued training. I want to make sure that I help him become the dog he needs to be. He has amazing potentional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I would look for a good group obedience class in your area. Because of his history as a fearful rescue, something that's motivational and reward based rather than correction based would be best. Try doing a trainer search on the Association of Pet Dog Trainers website: Dog Trainer Search

Since he already has the basic skills down, you may be able to "test in" to a higher level class, even though you haven't taken any classes with him yet (have you?). Usually there are prerequisites to getting into a level 2 or level 3 class, for example, but many places are willing to work around that if you can demonstrate that your dog already knows the skills that would have been learned in the prior classes.

If you can find a facility that has a wide variety of classes that would be great - basic OB, rally OB, agility, flyball, tracking, etc. - that way you can try some different things and figure out what you and he enjoy.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

That's what I would do too--I belong to an obedience training club [google those words for your town] and get him evaluated by a trainer and see what kind of classes or activities you might want to try like Cassidy's Mom mentioned. Thanks for giving him a home, sounds like a great dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cassidy's Mom & Stosh! Great suggestions. We havent gone to any obedience classes yet. That is next on my list of things to do with him. I should definitely try a few different things to see what he likes best. He is so eager to please that I don't have to correct hime very often and a very simple "ah-ah" works the best. His feelings get hurt pretty easy. Now it's time to do some research on classes! Thanks again!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

We went through basic obedience and he got a CGC. Then we went on to beginning novice which prepares for competing in obedience, some off leash commands, long down/stays, going over low jumps, precise heeling, stuff like that. Stosh just did not enjoy it but he did it. He gave me that "I'll do it but I don't know why you're making me" look. So we started herding lessons and he loves it!! It's a blast. I would never have tried it if we hadn't been exposed to it at the training club. Sounds like your boy would be open to just about anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

This may be a silly question but what is a CGC?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry--it's Canine Good Citizen. It's an AKC certificate you can test for. We took it after our basic obedience class--they test for basic commands, heeling, greeting another person/dog, allowing a stranger to touch his head and body, stuff like that. You can go on the AKC website and read about it. Your guy might be able to pass it already!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh...gotcha! Thanks for all of your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page