Natural Dog Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Natural Dog Training

I stumbled upon this while looking for info on ways to strengthen recall and wondered what you guys thought about the methods this guy uses. Has anyone used it successfully? I have to admit I'm skeptical and yet, oddly drawn to the concept.

Welcome to the Natural Dog Blog - Natural Dog Blog – Training and More

Here are few tidbits of his explanation of NDT:

"In Natural Dog Training, you learn how your dog processes the world, emotionally, and then you learn specific techniques that make you the center of your dog's emotional universe. You learn how to work with your dog's most social and cooperative instincts, their hunting instincts. And your dog learns to trust you, to turn to you for an answer to the question of "what do I do...now?" (i.e. what do I do with my energy?) in any situation, no matter how challenging."

And...

"One of my favorite definitions, and maybe the simplest, is that we don't focus on being in control of the dog's behavior. If we set things up right, emotionally, the dog will happily control his own behavior so that it's always in alignment with our wishes and desires."

Dee
Caretaker of Ezra the Wonder Dog &
Maxx, Pooch Extraordinnaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM

When you have something new to sell, you make it sound difficult, mysterious and inovative. So far, I see smoke and mirrors.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Knighted Member

In my quest for great training info, I ended up here. Never heard of this guy and I doubt he has anything better to offer than what I can learn here and a few other places I visit.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

He lost me with this statement: Part of the art of Natural Dog Training is learning how to balance those aspects of yourself, your inner mooseness...

Our inner mooseness?? Seriously the site is really large but doesn't actually say much. Too slick for me.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
He lost me with this statement: Part of the art of Natural Dog Training is learning how to balance those aspects of yourself, your inner mooseness...

Our inner mooseness?? Seriously the site is really large but doesn't actually say much. Too slick for me.
Me too? He wants me to be a Moose....not an Alpha.....a Moose. Dogs eat moose. I think I will just be me, no moose, no alpha, just Jeff
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I did a double-take at the mooseness, as well. Channelling my inner moose doesn't come naturally to me.

Ezra is 8 months old and I'm ready to step it up. He's got the basics down, working on recall with distractions & increasing the length of stay. But I want more, moRE, MORE!
I do believe that agility or maybe even SchH will be in our future. I have the time to commit, will have to figure out $. Forget about Ez, *I* need something to do with all my energy!

Dee
Caretaker of Ezra the Wonder Dog &
Maxx, Pooch Extraordinnaire
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

the word Natural is a buzzword, used to sell most everything...I agree with DFrost!
You'll never learn on the internet what you can learn hands on with a great trainer that specializes in your training goals.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Knighted Member

I just looked over the site. It's not terrible.

I like his article on tugging
How to play tug of war with your dog – and have the happiest dog on the block. - Natural Dog Blog – Training and More

And this one on getting the dog to push you for food and play is good too.
Natural Dog Training Fundamentals: How to relax and attract your dog using pushing - Natural Dog Blog – Training and More

I wouldn't pay for any of this info but the free stuff there are not bad.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking some time to check out my site.

A few thoughts:

DeeMcB: I'd say that the main reasons that I frequently end up working with people are to help strengthen the recall (although there are some steps along the way that contribute to that outcome) - or to help solve problems (like aggression, anxiety, hyperactivity, etc.). Even if you don't buy into the whole theory/approach completely, I think you'd find that playing tug and "pushing" (according to the instructions in the links that Jason L posted) to be really helpful with the recall.

Here's another link that sums up some of my thoughts on the steps further along the path to the rock-solid recall:
Get Your Dog to Come When Called No Matter What - Natural Dog Blog – Training and More

Realizing that the whole "mooseness" thing can be off-putting (DFrost, Denali Girl, Whiteshepherds), another way to sum up what I try to teach is:
  1. How to increase your dog's attraction to you - particularly when they're in a high state of drive (as those are generally the times in the "real world" when communication, or a recall, are most important)
  2. How to help your dog relax (which is a key aspect of their staying focused when energized) - and minimize stress for them.
  3. How to turn your dog's attraction to other things in the environment (squirrels, cats, other dogs - and particularly the things in their environment that "trigger" unwanted behaviors) into a stronger attraction to you.
  4. How to use that attraction to elicit obedience behaviors (and resolve the stress and tension at the root of problem behaviors).
That's pretty much it in a nutshell, although increasingly I've been also focusing on another key component, which is:
  1. Overcoming the obstacles in a person's approach to working with their dog (i.e. the "Inner Game") - as those things might actually be standing in the way of getting the results they want. As I'm sure many of you here are aware, it's often the habits of the owner that create the habits of the dog - and so changing a dog's "habits" often comes down to changing a person's habits.
The "moose" is a metaphor that's supposed to help in understanding the prey/predator dynamic happening within a dog as they process their environment emotionally.

It's good feedback to hear that it didn't quite make sense to you - or that it seemed like "smoke and mirrors" - my goal with the Naturaldogblog has been to make it all crystal clear for people - which is why there are so many words on the site, I guess. I *think* (hope) you'd find the articles to be clarifying, not mystifying. That being said, because I have written many of the articles on the site in a sequence - some of the later articles might make less sense without the context of the earlier ones. So thank you for your criticism, and I hope you don't mind if I take it constructively.

And DeeMcB, I think you're right - that "channeling your inner mooseness" doesn't always come naturally, at first. But in my experience, the more people learn about the method, the more they see things that make sense whether they're looking for a paradigm shift or not.

If you're into "Alpha" - then you might see a different explanation for why the alpha things work the way they do.

If you're into +R, or OC, then you might simply see some interesting techniques that don't require a "new paradigm" in order for them to be useful.

Many people with whom I work haven't found the success/relationship with their dog that they are looking for with mainstream dog training methods. Often those people really resonate with the approach that I write about.

I was actually one of those people, back when I happened upon "Natural Dog Training" - if you read the bio on my site, you'll see that I had a hopelessly aggressive dog who would have rather chased squirrels for months on end than come when called. When mainstream methods seemed to be failing me (and trainers - who one would assume would have an interest in helping - were telling me to euthanize my dog), I decided to look for an alternative.

At the time my dog was 6 - she's nearly 14 now. While I might have to rely mostly on hand signals now (she's gone deaf in the past 6 months), she comes when I call, and gets along with other dogs. I'm certainly glad I didn't take the "advice" that was offered to me way back when.

My hope is simply that you'll try the things out, with an open mind, and see what the results are for you.

Best, and happy new year!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Knighted Member

So if my dog wants to go after a deer I should pet her while she is all riled up then run away because she will naturally chase after me instead of the deer. Then when she catches up to me I should wrestle with her because then she'll know what catching a deer feels like and not want to do it anymore? This guy wants you to buy his DVD's and books- he has more than a loose screw IMO and obviously hasn't tried the whole deer and running away thing,lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page