New training club - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

New training club

Okay it's been years since I was a member at Gem City Dog Obedience Club and we have since moved father south near Cincinnati so I figured I'd find a class there for Nyxie that would allow for competitive obedience training. I found one and their website looked nice. They asked that I bring a pinch collar as they find that gets the best results - okay, I have one so I'll try it. Nyxie went through Petsmarts puppy kindergarten class and she did well there. Seemed to train happily and I had a loose lead 95% of the time. She trained very well with the food. They used clicker in class but I didn't follow up with that at home because although I know it works well I just prefer not to. I trained her there on a flat collar and planned to keep using that as it was working okay - I haven't had to give her much correction - just a leash pop and an "eh, eh" noise does the trick for her. By the end of that class she was pretty good with sit, down and watch me.

Tonight was the first night at this new place and she is now just 6 months old. She accepted the pinch collar just on trial at home - I didn't give any corrections on it. Immediately after getting there one of the owners comes up to check her collar and he says all GSDs are fear biters and she will likely be one too. Huh? She just was sitting in front of me placidly while he's checking her collar and he's saying that crap. Then he goes on to tell the class about how we talk to our dogs too much since they can't understand us anyway - why bother talking to them as if they could. I talk to my dogs all day every day - why bother having them as pets if you aren't going to interact with them other than to make them do what you want. It got worse, he said all of our dogs were in control of us and he could tell just from how we walked in - Nyxie walked by my side the entire time (she never drags me or pulls).

Now I'm getting uncomfortable. Got a bad feeling. They go on to say how you are not allowed to use treats (their site had said they did use treats, you just had to bring them). And they strictly train via leash pops with the pinch collar. No rewards. Only corrections. Praise for when the lead is loose. So they start us on heeling which Nyxie is good with - well at least she walks mostly by my side, not in perfect heel position. They had me popping her leash to get her in the right place and her ears went back and tail went under. Once I saw that reaction I stopped popping and just used my voice and patting my side to keep her nearer to me. Then I put the lead on the dead ring when we had stopped. But Nyxie was freaked out. Her ears stayed back the entire rest of the class, her tail came untucked but she was not happy. Not the happy little learner she had been in kindergarten. She would not watch me and just stayed unhappy. I think she was picking up on all the stress in the room from the other dogs - a couple of whom were screaming while their owners were told to pop them harder. One had rolled onto his back all 4 legs waving in the air and the trainer came over and popped the crap out of him until he went back upright - said he was being dominant (looked more like submission and fear if you asked me).

I am so used to positive training that this place unnerved me - I didn't realize places still used these methods. My plan is to compete with Nyxie and make this all fun for her so that she is happy to learn and work. I don't want her to be terrified of me. The other trainer had a Malinois whose ears were seemingly permanently flattened and she did as she was told but had no heart in it - to me it looked like that.

They advocate hitting/bopping your dog in the nose and grabbing them by their lower jaw as forms of correction too.

Unfortunately I paid alot of money for 32 weeks of classes with this place. I don't think they do refunds but I will ask. Otherwise I will just train her on a flat collar and not do any of their methods and just attend class - if they have an issue they can just give me my money back.

I was so excited about this place. I might just go back to Gem City or check out Queen City. If anyone knows any good places to go near Cincinnati, Ohio please let me know!

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

Sheesh, sounds like a nightmare. I hate when trainers make broad statements about any breed or any situation. If there is one thing I've learned in my years training professionally is that there are no absolutes.
I don't know what to tell you other than to see if you can get a refund. If the website were misleading I'd bring that up, nicely, when asking about the refund. I'd say I'd have been suspect at the insistence of using a pinch collar though.
If you don't mind posting the website, or PMing it to me I'll look at it through the eyes of a potential client and see if I get the same feeling as you. It may help to know the angle as to how to get your refund and not have to get overly confrontational.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Crowned Member

This doesn't sound like a good place for you. For the next one, maybe you can visit first?
I do like your idea of doing it your way and if they don't like it they can return your money and see the last of you. From my experience, you will really have to stand up to them to train the way you want. I would also, if I were you, bring treats and train with them as reward. Be prepared to point out the contradiction on website vs in person if challenged. I think they'll give your money back after a week or two of your assertive methods.
You go girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This is from their site:

• Dog treats used during training sessions are to be provided by the handler. They should be a soft treat in nature, like a piece of cheese, a hot dog, chicken, or any soft dog treat. The wearing of a hip pack is encouraged, while using treats for training. No Milk Bone type treats or any other treats that are hard will be allowed because they will leave crumbs.
  • Do "NOT" Feed your dog a its meal before your class starting time. Wait until after your class to feed your dog.
So I assumed it was a treat rewarding type class. But yeah, no treats to be used. I'm not going to turn my happy puppy into some kind of obedience drone who gets no joy from the work. She got tons of treats when we got back to the car and got all waggy on me again, so at least she forgave me for taking her there. Their ring is entirely too small for the class size too. 12 dogs varying from 15 pounds to maybe 80 pounds all trying to heel in a small ring - yeah it didn't go so well!

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Crowned Member

I would point out what they said about treats to try and get a refund. If they say no, tell them you WILL be bringing treats as they clearly said you could on the website and you thought that's what you were getting.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM

You need to call the TD the program and have a sit down. Tell him/her you expectations, experience level and goals. There's a huge reason why you should be using treats and it's not because you don't want a drone. You will never be able to compete (title maybe but not compete) with a dog who's heart is not in it.If these are experienced trainers they should know that.

Don't just up and bring treats to the class and "if they don't like it too bad". You didn't pay all that money simply for a building to train in. You paid for an experienced coach. If their training doesn't match up with yours then there is absolutely no point in going.

Dog training in the NYC area!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I would point out what they said about treats to try and get a refund.
Me too. They misrepresented themselves on their website, and they really should refund your money because you're not getting the kind of training they said you'd get.

And I also agree with Justine that if they refuse to refund your money you should go ahead and use whatever collar you're comfortable with and use food rewards too. That's the kind of class you signed up for - don't let anyone try to railroad you into a method of training that you're not comfortable with and that is clearly demotivating to your dog.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I tried to call them today and never got a call back so I sent them a polite e-mail. We'll see if they refund my money or allow me to train my dog my way.

Michelle

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

This is why it is always a good idea to check out a training facility before signing up for classes. I would ask for a refund and if they refuse and don't have anything posted saying no refunds, get the better Business Bureau involved if they refuse. I personally would not keep attending these classes, even if they allowed treats to be used. It sounds like a very stressful environment for the dogs and your puppy is going to be picking up on that. Even if you aren't correcting her, she is going to get the idea that obedience is scary and stressful because of the reactions of the other dogs. Hearing dogs shrieking and watching other dogs be "attacked" by humans is not going to encourage your dog to enjoy obedience work. Not to mention they lied on their website about training methods (which I would save and print out, in case they change it after you complain).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

I think we all should go there and train the so called trainers how to train dogs. Wouldnt that be a hoot. I am glad you know there is a better way to train. Hopefully others that are new to training will see this thread and realize what is going on is just 'wrong'.

Dawn Brogan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page