Catch 22 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Catch 22

My 7 month old gets nippy when he wants to play, not harmfully so, but enough that I need to discourage the behavior, so if he pulls at my pant leg because he wants to play, then I can't reward the behavior by playing with him. I usually just wait 15 minutes and then engage him. Does this sound like the right coarse of action? Anyone have similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

no, give him a toy or a ball...use the time he engages you with a bit of training and reward him~I was just telling my DH this. He was complaining because he was playing with(big puppy 22 month old) my male and Karlo bumped him in his nose. I told him he is use to targeting with a toy and if he didn't have one, his big schnoz was it. So better find a toy before playing! While I was telling my DH this, Karlo went to get a ball. He listened and heard the key word: BALL!
If you fill the mouth with a ball or tug, play a bit, it will give the pup a way to exercise their mouth. Of course during teething you can't tug, but a ball or tug toy won't hurt them to be rewarded with.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-10-2011 at 09:15 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If you want to not reinforce nippy behavior, I wouldn't wait 15 minutes before engaging, that's a long time. When my dogs were young puppies I always had toys handy so I could grab one and shove it in their mouth to prevent them from biting ME!

But at 7 months old, I would personally be thinking about encouraging the kind of behavior I want and discouraging rough play and biting. He's big enough to do some damage. If you want to teach him to play nice and not use his mouth inappropriately I would ignore him just until he stops doing whatever you don't like, and then immediately turn back to him and engage. Playing nice turns you "on", nipping at you turns you "off", just like a light switch.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

I have a question about this if you don't mind me piggybacking. My husband loves to play rough with the dogs and has the scars to prove it. (Weird I know) If he doesn't mind them using their mouth on him, will it have an adverse effect on them learning not to use their mouths on the rest of the world? Or will they learn "It's ok to play bite Dad but not Mom"?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Even with a 7 month old, if they don't have something in their mouth they are going to want to nip or whatever, it is just what they do as a herding breed.
I'd rather put that time they are engaging with me into a bit of training session and give them something to pacify their mouth than ignore them.
When a pup or dog is pushing you to play, you use that time to your advantage!
I don't think it is a good idea to play rough with a dog, unless they do have a target for their mouth. It is just setting them up to fail(bite) and they can't discern who/what/when it is not appropriate to play "rough"

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page