Ok to allow pup on lap or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok to allow pup on lap or not?

Is it appropriate to carry an 8wk old GSD to go potty? What about when i take him to his vet appointment on Monday? Should I have him on a lead or should I carry him into the appointment and keep him on my lap?

I know you are not really supposed to every put a GSD on your lap (because he will want to do that when older and HEAVIER). But I am a little worried of him catching something from the floor of the vet's office, since he is still so little

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

At the vet appt - ABSOLUTELY carry him. Don't put him on the floor. My vet doesn't want puppies on the floor before they are fully vaccinated.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member

a pup that young i would definitely carry at the vets and any pet stores you go into until the pup is older, and way closer to being fully vaccinated. Just not a risk i'd be willing to take.

I also happen to be one of those that dont mind the whole 90lb lap dog thing. My dogs dont do it often and its usually just their head. though i do have this....

She climbed in my lap all by herself. She's about 52 lbs. lol. besides.... you have a GSD.... they already think they're lap dogs!!!!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Master Member

I carry my puppy any chance I get because you can't do it for long.LOL When they become dogs most are not going to want to lay on your lap because it won't be comfortable for them anyway. Who doesn't like to cuddle with there dog though.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Knighted Member

I agree put the puppy in a buggy at pet stores so it gets to see new things and hear new things and carry in a pet store....wouldn't hurt to bring a few wipes in a baggie so soon as you leave and get back to car you can wipe the feet off after the vet.

I am not a lap dog kind of person, so I discouraged it, not allowed on furniture either. It's cute now but not later....

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

I would definately carry him too. Sick dogs go to the vet, so I would be paranoid that he would pick something up off the floor. Im sure they have good cleaning practices being a vet and all, but still! So good thinking!

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
I agree put the puppy in a buggy at pet stores so it gets to see new things and hear new things and carry in a pet store....wouldn't hurt to bring a few wipes in a baggie so soon as you leave and get back to car you can wipe the feet off after the vet.

I am not a lap dog kind of person, so I discouraged it, not allowed on furniture either. It's cute now but not later....

lol i dont mind it. They dont usually stay long and its rare that i get a fully body on my lap hehe. Plus we dont have dog beds in the house and their hair is gonna get on the furniture anyway so we never made the choice to not allow them up. They do know they're not allowed up on furniture at other peoples houses unless invited though!

back to topic, i agree with the wipes idea. you should be able to get a small diaper back pack from the store for about a dollar. or those cupholder packs.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Master Member

I had to carry Mia downstairs at night to go outside for about two weeks until she mastered the stairs...I also carried her at the Vet office.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Renee and Laura, are those new avatars? I love them!

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Knighted Member

Paula, yes, it's a shot of Jake from about 2 months ago....

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page