Barking, Lunging....Light at the end of the tunnel - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Barking, Lunging....Light at the end of the tunnel

So, I don’t post that often but I skim through the posts just about every day soaking in all the information. I see a lot of posts from people with young GSDs and they are worried about their dog barking, lunging, and whining during obedience classes or even out on walks when seeing other dogs. I just wanted to post an encouragement to all those people to hang in there!

I have had the same issues with Willow and last night we went to class and it was the first time we made it through the whole hour and there was not one bark, no whining and she stayed by my side the whole time. She even impressed the trainer. We did figure 8’s where the dog and handler are the posts. Willow actually heeled by my side in proper position around the dogs and when we were the post she only turned her head twice as a dog passed by and when I said “leave it” she looked right back at me! Usually she would be more interested in the other dogs to pay a bit of attention to me. Willow is just a little over 16 months and I think she is coming along nicely. We are taking a CGC class that starts in Feb. I wanted to wait for CGC until we could work more on her dog reaction issues.

Some of the training things we did to work on this: In addition to a weekly class, I try to take her to a pet store once a week and we just walk around the store for awhile. If she gets excited and starts barking, I make her sit or down and stay. When she calms down, release and treat and then we keep going. When we go on walks through the neighborhood there are certain places where dogs reside and she knows it. Once I notice her start to perk up we stop and I make her sit. When she calms down we continue to walk. I work hard to make sure my body language is calm, no tension on the leash. I say really happy “Let’s go” and try to keep her attention on me. I keep treats on me for all of our walks and she gets them if she keeps her attention on me. If we are walking by a barking dog and she wants to keep looking back I pick up my pace a bit and maybe jog through it. It makes her have to keep up with me and not worry so much about the other dog. Lately she has been doing great with this, we will see if her progress continues when it gets warmer and more dogs are out. Also a few months ago we did a private training session with a trainer that works with reactive dogs. She showed me a few things to redirect her attention as well. Such as, if I stick my hand out and Willow touches her nose to my hand it is an automatic treat EVERY time. All I have to do is say “Nose” and she comes over to me and noses my hand. I use this in our OB classes during down times when she would tend to get whiny because she was bored. Works great.

Now, I am not saying the work we are doing is over, just that she is sooooo much better than she was even 1-2 months ago. I know it is a combination of training and also I think she is maturing a bit as well. So for all of you out there with young’uns, keep the faith and know that your GSD can get better with training and some patience.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

glad to hear about the progress!!! Cody is react sometimes too so I'm in the midst of working on it with our trainer

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

Congrats! Great work! Good luck with your CGC!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Sharing
See its posts like this where we love to gain knowledge, based on what others are experiencing and thinks that help them work through situations we ourselves might be looking for solutions to.
Thanks for posting this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Sharing
See its posts like this where we love to gain knowledge, based on what others are experiencing and things that help them work through situations we ourselves might be looking for solutions to.
Thanks for posting this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Thats awesome! I know a lot of people have this same problem with shepherds as most seem to be very vocal and whiny. My shepherd is the same way , bark , whine lunge sometimes. Its been a work in progress since the day I adopted her from the shelter. I am proud to say we went to a pet expo in PA last weekend with well over 200 dogs and she did excellent. It seems as though she is anxious to greet and when I dont let her she wants to release the anxiety via bark whine etc. Keep up the great work and also , very glad you posted. I like the ideas of taking them to a pets store once a week. Thank you again and good luck! Your dog is young , continue to mold the mind!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM

Good to hear there is hope. We took Roxy to a class this week called Walking with Fiesty Fidos. We learned what you said about using a special treat to redirect them on walks and the trainer confirmed what others have said on this board about not using a prong collar during walks. After and hour, Roxy could walk by the other 5 dogs in the class without reacting.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM

One more thing Ill throw in... here is a little article about pinch collars. -
http://doggonecrazy.ca/articles/Vins...ch_Collars.pdf

Pinch to me is primarily used by police military dogs etc.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page