potty training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

potty training.

So I have a 10 week old German shepherd. I currently have him in crate training. When we first got him I would take him out to the street to do go pee and poo. We have had him for about a week and now we decided to make a super size litter box for him. So yesterday was his first day of litter training and he wouldn’t go poo all day until finally around 6 pm. Today I took him to his litter box and he peed. Later he was crying and I took him again he set up to poope out side of the box before he went I pulled him by his leash into the box and he sniffed around and pooped. I praised him and rewarded him a lot. I let him have some free time thinking I didn’t have to worry about him pooping again. And about 10 min later he was setting up to poope on the side walk, I picked him up and took him to the litter box and he wouldn’t go anymore. (this happened twice through the day today) Any tips or ideas? To I just have to continue practicing with him until he understands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 PM

He's probably confused- for the last week, you've been telling him he's a 'good boy' for going by the sidewalk, then all of a sudden you changed your mind- it's going to take him some time to figure it out. Leave poop in the litter box to help him get the idea, and monitor him closley until it clicks.
Just curious;
Why not just keep letting him go where he's been going?
Is it an indoor litterbox? If it is, that will be quite something when he weighs 80 pounds!

October von Hena-C, AKA "Tober"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM

I agree that he's confused. When my pup was about 3 months we moved, just as he was getting the hang of going to the door most of the time. At the new house, it took a few weeks for him to get the hang of it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM

It will take more than a week to instill good elimination habits in a pup, so no worries there. Pick wherever you think is best for him to go and stick to it, the pup will learn in time. Although, I'm also not a fan of the 'litter box' idea. If you teach him to only go there and not outside, he might have issues with going outside later when needed on a camping trip, long hike, etc...

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der_girl View Post
He's probably confused- for the last week, you've been telling him he's a 'good boy' for going by the sidewalk, then all of a sudden you changed your mind- it's going to take him some time to figure it out. Leave poop in the litter box to help him get the idea, and monitor him closley until it clicks.
Just curious;
Why not just keep letting him go where he's been going?
Is it an indoor litterbox? If it is, that will be quite something when he weighs 80 pounds!
Hey, Thanks for the advice.
We cant let him keep going where he is going becouse its more convinient for us to train him to go in one spot. Thats why we set up a 5 foot by 6 foot litter box in the back of our equipment yard. see samson job eventually will be to protect our constructions buisness equipment yard. So he will be losse and we dont want poop all over the yard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHSMITH View Post
I agree that he's confused. When my pup was about 3 months we moved, just as he was getting the hang of going to the door most of the time. At the new house, it took a few weeks for him to get the hang of it again.
cool thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp View Post
It will take more than a week to instill good elimination habits in a pup, so no worries there. Pick wherever you think is best for him to go and stick to it, the pup will learn in time. Although, I'm also not a fan of the 'litter box' idea. If you teach him to only go there and not outside, he might have issues with going outside later when needed on a camping trip, long hike, etc...
Well see the litter box is just a tool to teach him to go in one place it is 5 foot by 6 foot box half sand and half ply wood that is placed out side in our equipment yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page