thoughts of the "potty place" grass pads - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

thoughts of the "potty place" grass pads

since its been cold and wet my pup doesnt like to go outside. instead of going through the doggie door to the inclosed kennel she opt to poop in the mud room right before the doggie door. so i have seen those grass doggie potty stand things and wonder if anybody has tried these,had anyluck or just the general consensus was. i know the real goal is not use any part of the house-thats the only spot- but we are past the wee-pads in the room stage and those have just become fun play things now...i do take out every other hour or so directly outside and stand in front of the doggie door to ensure a potty but i swear she bluffs a pee and just poops enought that i let her back in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Master Member

Where is it you want her to go..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I'm interested in the grass pads as well. Like for example, if the puppy uses it in the crate, then it won't be a real accident, it'll be on the pad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Master Member

IMO, I would leash the dog and take him or her to where it is that you want the dog to go. Puppy pads cause more problems later on in life....train the dog the right way now and later it will be easy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Knighted Member

No pads!.....why teach a dog to potty some where just because it's cold or inconvenient and then expect the the puppy to then relearn where you want it to go later. Train your dog to go eliminate where it should OUTSIDE. If you are having issues with poor bathroom behavior it's your fault, are you crate training? What training methods are you using to teach your dog to be housebroken?

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

there is a "potty place" outside in the kennel. when it isnt wet or raining she uses fine. i take her out there every few hours to make sure she uses it but cant block off the room because the adults use the door whenever they have to go out. the one having trouble is Truoble,my 8-9 week deaf wgsd. she has real problems with people which she is getting better with but i was told not to force her-ie the tether method. i crate her when not supervised but she doesnt totally empty when shes out evidently cuz comes right back in and then goes right on the inside of the door. i've seen them used on "its me or the dog". trouble doesnt mind baths,showers or jumping in when i run a bath so i dont understand the whole its wet or rainy out,especially since the kennel has a roof.we used the pads to start with her nbecause we found her outside at 4 weeks and she was too little to get through the doggie door or be outside in the -2 we had out here.like i said,she does go out and i take her for potty breaks....do you think its just a phase she will grow out of?....the kennel is cleaned twice daily
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Knighted Member

Take the puppy on a leash, train it to go potty where you want it.....when she goes PRAISE TREATS PRAISE......over and over and over...........she is baby and she needs a leader to train her.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Knighted Member

If having a bazillion dogs gives you no time to properly train her please rethink your situation.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM

im not for teaching a dog to eliminate indoors on artificial turf or anything else elimination happens outdoors not in the den.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

no artificial turf. bad idea. it leads to the dog thinking its okay to go anywhere in the house. pup needs to learn they need to go outside no matter what.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page