What can I do with prey drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

What can I do with prey drive?

The people at Layla's doggy daycare, who have worked years specifically with border collies and shepherds, have mentioned it to me a couple times. I've seen it myself. And right now, it ain't pretty.

This dog has the highest prey drive of any GSD I've ever had, and I thought Jasmine's was strong.

What can I do with this to channel it in a positive direction vs. things like squirrel and cat killing (I'm really afraid of the latter especially)? Agility? Anything else?

Thanks.

Spending more than a few hours a day in a forum is unhealthy and makes people mean
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

You can use it as a way to reward in training by playing with a toy. You can use it with toys as a way to exercise your dog.

As far as having it not used on other creatures, a solid "leave it" behavior needs to be taught. With my higher prey drive dogs, I don't leave them alone with cats.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

What Samba said. Prey drive is a great thing for training because you can use reward toys, such as a ball on a string or a tug, in training and keep your dog's focus and attention so easily with those.

If you have cats at home, it's been my experience that you can teach your dog that your cats at home are members of the family and need to be left alone. My Mal is very different with the cats at home (she doesn't bother them at all) than with cats outside or other small prey animals outside that she would very much like to chase.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You can also use it to wear out your dog. Get a ball launcher and a big open space, or even better, a hill. Play fetch until exhausted. Being able to give your dog outlets like these for her prey drive will help in getting her to associate what is okay to chase, and what is not.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page