Thoughts on Cesar Millan Method - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to asanderd Send a message via Yahoo to asanderd
Thoughts on Cesar Millan Method

What are your thoughts on the Cesar Millan's methods? I want to be a pack leader. I want a well behaved dog. I know when I adopt I may not get a dog that listens good, I'll hope for one of course, but I want to be prepared for the worst. One of Cesar methods is when you bring your adopted dog home for the first time, take a 20-30 minutes walk before going in the front door. That it initiates the "right state of mind".. And his walking methods. Are those good or bad methods?

Researching what breed you will be. Will you be Chiaka or Luna or Van Gogh or Chobee?
We shall see...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Crowned Member

I certainly think it's a good idea to walk your dog a lot. It's probably not a bad idea to have them walk behind or beside you; although mine have always wandered in front of me and unquestionably see me as their "leader."

If you do a search you'll find lots of Cesar Millan threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I certainly think it's a good idea to walk your dog a lot. It's probably not a bad idea to have them walk behind or beside you; although mine have always wandered in front of me and unquestionably see me as their "leader."

If you do a search you'll find lots of Cesar Millan threads.
Thank you Emoore, I'm reading a bit now!

Researching what breed you will be. Will you be Chiaka or Luna or Van Gogh or Chobee?
We shall see...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Numerous previous threads:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-hate-him.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...lwell-o-o.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...sar-milan.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...sar-milan.html

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I've read through some of the thread on Cesar and Victoria. I think most of Cesar's methods are for worst case senarios. I don't want to become what most of those owners on the Dog Whisperer have become. I want to start out on the right foot straight away.

We shall see...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

hmmm...not a big fan but he is dealing with dogs that are serious cases. I wouldn't use any of his methods. I think you should buy the book "The Other End of The Leash", talk to several different trainers that use positive methods and find what you are happy with.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

I use a mixture of Cesar's method as well as other pro trainers'. I agree that you must be calm and assertive with your dog. But I also believe that they are like children and should not just be a dog. They're like family. I like him though. He's very effective.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Master Member

Your doing a lot of reading and learning a lot so you're on the right track for sure. When you get the little one I'm sure everyone here will tell you to go to some classes and that will help with socialization and obedience plus your trainer may have his or her own style of training. It may or may not be like Cesar's but that's ok as long as they are gentle and you are comfortable with their style of training.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

IMO You would do a lot better to follow the program outlined in Ruff Love (Welcome to Dogwise.com). The program is designed to teach the dog what is expected from him without the use of force or intimidation. Even if you don't follow it exactly (it can be pretty restrictive in the first phase), there is a lot of good advice in the book for problem dogs and for dogs who are new to your household.

Cesar Milan relies heavily on the outdated "dominance theory". It can certainly work but IMO there are much better ways to achieve a well mannered dog.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Master Member

Another CM thread!

His methods of rehabilitating dogs are very successful for him. Some certain (if uncommon for him) methods are the ones some people take issue with (not me, but some people).

For raising a dog, I think he has a book on that. In my experience, the 3 things he emphasizes (exercise, discipline [rules boundaries limitations] then affection) are sound. A dog who is allowed run of the place (and they WILL take over if they can) is much harder to live with compared to one you set, and enforce, rules for.

That does not mean they will never bark at or chase a cat, or chew something up, but it does make them easier to deal with in those situations, in addition to making them generally more obedient.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page