Books - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Books

I was at the bookstore yesterday just wasting time and of course ventured into the dog section. The training section SUCKS and I do most of my buying online. But it had me thinking....what are everyone's favorite books. I would like to expand on my library and catch peoples opinions here and there in threads but thought I would do a thread solely on this topic. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

My favorite book right now isn't for training but is about a woman who does SAR. It's called Scent of the Missing..and although its not a GSD its a wonderful story

"Miles to go before I sleep" - Robert Frost
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM

From dog related books...my favorite was 'The Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson

chris and clark (whelped 07/18/2008)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Whats that one about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM

'Don't Shoot the Dog' by Karen Pryor
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

It would be awesome if everyone could write a brief description of the book next to the title..no biggie..otherwise I will just google

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

The above are great here are a couple of my favorites:
Welcome to Dogwise.com Purely Positive Training; Companion to Competition by Leslie McDevitt
Train your dog the positive way. Includes how to raise a puppy positively, how to build a strong relationship, manners training, teaching a really reliable recall, and how to train effectively without force. Special instructions in each section for companion dogs, competition obedience, agility and Schutzhund. Clearly explains both theory and technique, including The Golden Rule and The Ten Commandments of positive training. Easy-to-follow directions to teach sit, down, stand, heel, recall, finish, retrieving, jumping and send away. Special chapter on preparing for successful competition. Written with love of dogs and an understanding of training.
The Other End of the Leash -General Dog Training Books at Patricia McConnell
Ever wondered why your dog doesn't always do what you want? Sometimes the answer lies in the mirror! This nationally acclaimed book written by Patricia McConnell looks at humans as just another interesting species, muses about how dogs might interpret our behavior, and suggests how to interact with them in ways that bring out the best in our four-legged friends.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Wonderful suggestions onyx girl. I was actually just looking at The Other End of the Leash ! I absolutely love reading and getting other people's opinions/viewpoints on training topics and theory!

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM

OP, I also read 'Scent of the Missing' a while back and loved it. Such a beautifully written story, but also fascinating from the standpoint that it also shares a lot of detail about the SAR experience. Granted, I did not know much about it before reading this, but now I'm even more impressed and grateful to everyone involved in SAR work.

On the fictional side of things, I also read "Stay," by Allie Larkin. That one's definitely a chick-lit type of read, centered around a woman with a GSD and of course some romantic entanglements. The way she acquired the dog might peeve some people, but I took it as a plot device and just enjoyed the way Larkin captured the goofiness of a young GSD.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

For fiction http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FStory-Edgar-Sawtelle-Novel%2Fdp%2F0061374229&tag=5336432754-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is really good too, it gives some insight into the bond we share, how dogs think, breeding and raising pups. You can read reviews on the link.
I need to read "Stay"!
I try to go to the local library instead of purchasing books, and my local branch networks with other libraries so can order most all books(fiction)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-09-2010 at 06:43 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 PM

I am a huge Patricia McConnell fan. All of her books are very informative but interesting to read. I love how she incorporates her experiences and her dogs into the books, invites the reader into her home. Also awesome on facts and info for further reading on any given topic she discusses.

Owned by:
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page