Is rocky going crazy!?!?!?!?!?!? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Is rocky going crazy!?!?!?!?!?!?

SO THE OTHER DAY I WAS HANGING OUT WITH MY 6-7 MONTH OLD GSD. WE WERE HAVING A GOOD TIME UNTIL HE SPOTTED A NAPKIN ON THE GROUND. HE RAN FOR IT AND GOT IT. THEN I TOLD HIM TO COME BACK. HE CAME BACK BUT THE AWKWARD PART WAS; WHEN HE CAME NEXT TO ME, SAT IN HIS LIL BED AND STARTED ACTING LIKE HE COULD SEE A GHOST OR SOMETHING. HE STARTED LOOKING AROUND LIKE CRAZY AND STARTED TO GROWL A LITTLE BIT(BY LITTLE BIT I LITERALLY MEAN A LITTLE BIT, IT WAS FOR 2 SECS). I TRIED TO PET HIM AND HE TRIED TO BIT ME SO I KICKED HIM OUT OF THE GARAGE.
IS HE OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Crowned Member

Could have just been a hyper puppy trying to get some of his energy out. Puppies do that from time to time.

What kind of exercise and training does he get? Has he had any issues before this? How long have you had him?

And what do you mean you kicked him out of the garage? Why was he in the garage to begin with and where did he go if you kicked him out? How exactly did you kick him out?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 AM

The floating napkin clearly startled him, and his reaction was simply fear. His "biting" you was also a fear bite, and not an act of aggression. Kicking him out of the garage was not an appropriate response, your dog is just fine but you need to work with familiarizing him with different things so that this doesn't happen. Get a plastic bag, or napkin, etc, throw it up into the wind, or just drop it and let it blow around. Keep him on a leash and let him slowly investigate it on his own. When he gets right up to it be like good boy! and continue walking.

Do not punish your dog for being afraid of something. A floating napkin or something like it should evoke a prey drive response--either fight or flight, and if you don't get him familiar with these things soon he's going to be a fearful hazard.

Last edited by Dr89; 12-08-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy dog View Post
could have just been a hyper puppy trying to get some of his energy out. Puppies do that from time to time.

What kind of exercise and training does he get? Has he had any issues before this? How long have you had him?

And what do you mean you kicked him out of the garage? Why was he in the garage to begin with and where did he go if you kicked him out? How exactly did you kick him out?
ive had several incidnets like these with him before both those were when he was 3-4 months old. I didnt think it was the same thing as before because i thought he got over it. Usually we'll let him out in the front(not alot of space in back) for about 30 minutes or so. He gets 15 minutes of just wandering around and then after that he has to get a basketball that we throw above his head to he can have faster reflexs and beable to jump. By kicking him out this is what i meant. His house is outside but he hardly ever goes in it. So everyday i think he hasnt misbehaved he gets to just chill in the garage. Sometimes he gets trained and sometimes we just sit there. When the incident happend it was only 30 minutes in(usually the chill time last for about a hour or 2.) ive had him for about 4 months. I usually just give him the basic training;sit stay leave it come and lie down. Thats about it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr89 View Post
the floating napkin clearly startled him, and his reaction was simply fear. His "biting" you was also a fear bite, and not an act of aggression. Kicking him out of the garage was not an appropriate response, your dog is just fine but you need to work with familiarizing him with different things so that this doesn't happen. Get a plastic bag, or napkin, etc, throw it up into the wind, or just drop it and let it blow around. Keep him on a leash and let him slowly investigate it on his own. When he gets right up to it be like good boy! And continue walking.

Do not punish your dog for being afraid of something. A floating napkin or something like it should evoke a prey drive response--either fight or flight, and if you don't get him familiar with these things soon he's going to be a fearful hazard.
yea baout that. The napkin wasnt floating. He loves plastic and napkins. Everytime he sees one he runs at full speed to get it so imstill confused. Anyways thanks for the help
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 AM
vat
Knighted Member

Puppies go thru more than 1 fear stage in their puppyhood. You need to do more training and less teaching him to jump. He is to young yet for doing that, it is hard on the hips.

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Elite Member

This sounds like resource guarding to me. A normal dog behavior but one which can certainly become a major concern. Here is an article on it: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:AYOHYR8cKeAJ:www.compliantk9.com/rawImages/CK9%2520Resource%2520Guarding%2520v1.pdf+jean+dona ldson+resource+guarding+protocol&hl=en&gl=us&pid=b l&srcid=ADGEESjk7zNpj4aPsLnmvI7KLapAVLZKZcODDzxoOW 64mnpUjyKITK5Frmro3KgNUJlaHxB7k-wZeljjm6igYQjK_qQBic4UgLqg-b2EiYwfdOjLTcTP_8YlJuEXEot63kRljNTiThdj&sig=AHIEtb TamRUWJ_WcECPJgt3ikrWz7dLAMw

This article outlines some behavioral work you can do to help Rocky not feel he needs to guard his stuff. However, it sounds like Rocky is an outdoor dog? GSDs can live outside but as a breed really need a lot of early training and socialization. A few minutes a day of interaction just isn't enough. I'm afraid that without those things, most GSDs become quite problematic for their owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page