What do y'all think about pinning/alpha roll - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

What do y'all think about pinning/alpha roll

I have heard some people hate it and some people love it, or at least think it's a natural training method. I have never done this physically to my dogs but my pup Riley will submissivly roll on his back when I give him the "You're in trouble look." I used to get on the floor and play with him and that's when he started doing it. It would be when I would love on him and put my face around his neck. That's when he would automatically do it. Now he just does it if I give him a certain look, or when I give him a good ole belly rub! What is your opinion of people who purposfully incorporate "Pinning" or the "Alpha roll" for training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

This thread is the same as your question. It was a fun read!
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...l-mistake.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

i've never alpha rolled a dog. my dog will jump
on the bed with us and roll on back but that means
rub him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh, sorry!! I guess I should start searching before I post. I forum on another site and it's NO WHERE as big as this one. I forget. Sorry.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and thank you!
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Don't be sorry, I just remembered that thread, and how you play with your pup...alpha rolls, zerbits and rasberries~what more could a pup want!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

You might consider toning your reproaches to your pup down a bit. If the dog is giving you the "I submit, please don't kill me" language, it could be you have a very soft/submissive dog.

I find that soft dogs need very little corrections, and stiff corrections can move you backwards instead of forwards.

Just thinking out loud here.

Soft dogs can be the most excellent pets because generally they want to please you and when they know what they should not do, they NEVER do it. But they require someone willing to encourage and build their confidence moreso than discourage behaviors.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Wow, that was a lot of information in that post. I've never rolled my dog over. He is getting closer and closer to rolling over on his back for me to pet his belly, but it is his doing, not mine. I'm not brave enought to try to force him! Plus, when it's his idea, it seems like he's doing it out of respect for me instead of fear of me.
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Generally Alpha Rolling is stupid. First, because usually people use alpha rolling to get their dog/puppy to "submit" to their "dominance". I think this is taking advantage of a dog that is already willing to submit without needing to be physically forced to it. So basically alpha rolling is just bullying.

I mean really. Go ahead and try to alpha roll a 90lb male that really is bent on showing you who's boss. Let me know how your face fares in that encounter.

If you actually have a dog that wants to dominate you that you need to show superiority over...well then you probably need to be a very experienced handler or you need some serious professional training. Most dogs really don't want to challenge your authority to that level.

ETA- I do flip my dogs over on their back for belly rubs and for general handling purposes. I like to be able to mess with their belly for different reasons such as medical, etc. However, they are never struggling against it, it's always a calm pleasant thing that they allow because they trust me NOT to make them uncomfortable.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Last edited by JKlatsky; 11-29-2010 at 09:42 PM.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Master Member

My signature says it all.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page