This might be a durk a durh question! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

This might be a durk a durh question!

Okay, I'm getting ready to take one of my dogs out to train in an open field. I took the other out this morning. Can't handle them both off leash when the love isn't here. I need to work on some training and focus with him. What should I do? I have sit and stay while an article is being thrown. What are some other things I can work with him when it's just me and him in a big open field?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Master Member

COME is what comes to mind. Most import...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

True, yes. That's such a simple thing it's hard to pass up. I definitely need to work with him on that. Most people say "heel" when they want their dogs to stay beside them at their heel, I say "Close" and snap my fingers and that's like his "Come" except he just waltzes right past and then comes. I'm going armed with treats though. Okay, I'm out before daylight is gone. I'll be back with how he did. Maybe a video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Knighted Member

I vote come as well even if he knows it inside. Outdoors with lots of new distractions will help solidify his recall and be a gem for you in the future when you actually need it
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

I have Shenzi sit stay while I walk around her (I use a training lead about 7 metres) And I will periodically drop a treat. When done, I stop randomly and tell her to 'find it' Once in awhile I'll bark a stop, and this command expects the dog to completely stop what shes doing and sit. Sit, walk 7 metres, come, half way to me, stop. Come again. We work on heeling exercises as well. If you have the money for a dumbbell, you can work on dumbbell retrieves as well. There's a lot of things you can do in an open field, put your imagination to it!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just got back, it's dark already. I wish I wouldn't have gone by myself cause there was a pervert in the near distance. His house was about 75 yards away or so and he walked within 25 yards of me and Riley and he proceeded to take a piss right there in front of me. He didn't even care to turn around. I was pretty appalled. Riley was staring it him and even gave a low growl. It was weird because I've never heard him growl like that. Anyways I kept going after that. I had a treat in my hand and kept saying his name and every time he looked at me I gave him the treat. "Come" didn't work so well as he ran past me every time. When we started playing with his toy he actually listens to me and stays. I have a video so I'll post it in this thread when I get it uploaded.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Crowned Member

Hope it's not a video of the guy!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Haha, no! It's of Riley
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 PM

i took my pup to a wide open field... the come is still a little sketchy, he would start coming but a pile of deer crap would distract him... and i don't know what is up w/ him and deer poop <scratches head>

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Oh good! I was worried there for a second. If he doesn't come directly to you, try running backwards and luring him right to your toes, then have him sit for the treat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page