Whining at Petsmart (and other places) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Whining at Petsmart (and other places)

I have a seven year old female GSD named Britney and we go to the dog park a lot. After about 30 mins at the park, she begins to whine. i assume it means she's nervous, possibly wanting to leave. I have ignored it and stayed for however long i want to stay and ignored the whining. She eventually stops.

I have tried the same thing in Petsmart, but this is more severe whining and ignoring them isnt enough. When we go in to get something, food, treats, whatever, she is nervous within 2 mins of being inside. Even when its very empty and there are hardly any people with other dogs, she whines and jumps around on the leash. I give her SIT commands, and she sits for a few seconds then starts whining again. I reward her with a pet if she sits when i ask. However it doesnt seem to distract her for long enough. How do i ease her anxiety here?
I don't want to refrain from taking her, because i feel she should be able to accompany me into places like this with no problem. I just dont know how to adjust her behavior. Any tips?

GSD Britney, Retired Clermont Police Dept 2008
GSD Aleksander (Sascha) 2 years old

"Many men have forgotten this, but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

I have had 2 dogs that don't like PetSmart. It's because of the echoing of sounds in the large building.

I just don't bring those dogs there, or if I do stop because I'm in the neighborhood and can't leave them in the car, I make the trip short. I just don't feel that I should subject my dog to experiences that really stress them.

If you read the book "Scaredy Dog", you'll find out about the chemical imbalance that is caused by stress and how it lingers for about a week. Additional stresses during that time period will cause a build up of that stress hormone, only making it worse.

Just a question. Why bring her to the dog park when, obviously, she doesn't enjoy it?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

she enjoys it at first, she goes around to everyone wagging and licking hands. She sniffs other dogs and stuff. She plays on the little setups they have. It takes some time before she begins to whine at me to leave.

With petsmart i guess i should stop bringing her if she is that afraid. I take her to banfield to the vet which is attached to the store and she doesnt mind at all being there.

GSD Britney, Retired Clermont Police Dept 2008
GSD Aleksander (Sascha) 2 years old

"Many men have forgotten this, but you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page