Sloppy Sit. Why? and is it a big deal? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sloppy Sit. Why? and is it a big deal?

Hi all,

So I met on Saturday with a new trainer. Our 1st private lesson is on Wednesday night. Anyhow, right away she commented on Cody's sit.

He has gotten sloppy. Sometimes he takes like a step or two back when sitting. and sometimes after he sits, he just starts to slouch a bit...like he has bad posture. His sits used to be cleaner.

So, I this a big deal? Why did Cody get sloppy? Is this something I should spend time on? or is my new trainer getting hung up on something silly?

thanks!

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

If you are planning on competing then it is a big deal. I have the same problem.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

hi jax,

i'd like to do agility with him, but really just for fun and "job" purposes, not competetion. after learning maybe just buy some stuff and set it up in the backyard...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

they don't sit in agility.

But if you ever want to do obedience, rally then you'll want him to have a nice sit. It's much easier to teach them correctly the first time than to redo and possibly have to use a new word.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

gotcha...lol. yeah i hightly doubt i'll get into sch or rally. dock dog could be cool too, but anyway.

he learned it right, then overtime he's just gotten sloppy ya know? maybe he's being a lazy a s $ lol

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

I think it depends entirely on if it's a big deal to you. If you're planning to compete then you'll need to demand a straight sit, and now is the best time to work on it. If he's just going to be a companion and you're only worried that he sits when you say so, then don't worry about the sloppiness.

When I was doing agility with Cash, I taught him two different sit commands because he liked to sit sideways on one hip. "Siddown" meant, "just go ahead and sit however you want," whereas "Cash, sit," meant, "I need you to sit straight right now."

Similarly, I teach two different down commands. "Lay down" means, I don't care what you do or where you do it so long as you're laying down. Go take a nap on the couch for all I care." "Platz" means a more "jackrabbit" style obedience down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Emoore, was it very difficult for Cash to learn the difference between the two commands for similar movements?

"German shepherds...the best at most things and second best at everything else" -Sprock
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

hi emoore, thanks for the thoughts. yeah he's just my buddy haha, don't plan on winning any titles with him, so honestly im somewhat indifferent about his sit as long as he does sit when i say.

BUT, i hired this trainer to help me, so part of me also feels why hire an expert if im going to tell her "oh, i don't think thats a big deal so move on"...

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmit1 View Post
Emoore, was it very difficult for Cash to learn the difference between the two commands for similar movements?
good question...

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmit1 View Post
Not at all. He was extremely motivated to please so he was a joy to train. *Oh Lord I'm tearing up again*

I made a distinction between training the more formal obedience commands and the casual around the house ones. I didn't use them interchangeably in one training session. Dogs know when it's time to work and when you just want them to go lay on the couch.

Josh, what did you hire the private trainer for? If it's not for help with formal obedience, I don't see anything wrong with letting her know you don't need a formal obedience sit.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page