Constant Jumping Up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Constant Jumping Up

Ziva weighs 81 lbs (& counting). We've had her 3 months - she came from a Rescue. She's roughly 15-18 mos, for she's still growing.

She jumps up on people. On the doors when she is excited to go out or come in. This am, DH was walking her to his truck & she jumped up on the door. Scratched it.

She does this on-lead or off. Doesn't matter. You turn around to ignore her - doesn't matter. She'll just jump again in 5 minutes. "No", "Off", yelp like a wounded puppy...nothing works.

And it doesn't matter the type of collar, either. She jumps & lunges whether it was a standard choke collar, Gentle Leader, Halti, etc. DH likes the short-pronged collar & THAT'S not working.

And, if she scrathes my camaro, I'm gonna use her tail to wax them out (just kidding)

Help!

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Knighted Member

Have you tried holding the front feet for a second? They HATE it...

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs jump up when they want something. She wants attention so she jumps on people. She wants to go in or out so she jumps on the door. She wants to get in the car so she jumps on the car.

So, starting today and into eternity, she ONLY gets what she wants if she is SITTING. She wants attention? She has to sit. The minute that butt leaves the floor you ignore. She wants her dinner? She sits. She wants to go outside? She sits. Teach her to sit and wait quietly at doors. She wants to get in the car? She sits quietly by the car.

So, for example, if she's jumping on the door to go out. You stand by the door and tell her to sit. This may take a minute, but eventually she'll get bored or tired and sit down. When she's sitting, you reach for the door. Her butt comes up, you take your hand back and look at her. You reach for the door again. Maybe this time you get it open a crack. Butt comes up, you slam the door again. Repeat this until you can open the door wide and she still sits. I like to teach the "sit, wait" command with this.

Same thing with attention. She wants attention, she sits. The minute she starts to stand up, you ignore. Tell her to sit and when she does you commence petting.

From now on she only gets what she wants if she's sitting. When she's jumping around and acting crazy, just stare at her like she's lost her mind. Eventually she'll get bored and try sitting, then you reward her with whatever it was she wanted.

The only problem you get from this is a dog that won't stop sitting in front of you and you have to figure out what the heck she wants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Master Member

This maybe "Ole School" and I may take some heat for it, but one of the reasons the family gave up DJ and brought him to me is because he jumped up on everyone coming into the room. I broke him in one day.
When she jumps up on you, put your knee into her rib cage firm enough to dislodge her. She may do this a couple more times, but I promise this technique works.

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Jake - I don't dare grab her front legs, because then Problem #2 would start: after the 2nd trainer had her (before we fired the snot), she came back with this mouthing problem, which hurts.

Emmore - I guess we need to start further from the door. Because there's a battle of stubborness. She sits, then gets up. She waits, then lunges. Maybe just keep her further from the door.

But when she's acting like a Wild Child, she completely ignores ANY spoken words. (And I've more than a few!) Boy, as much as I wanted this dog, she's gonna drive me to drink...

What's the best collar to use on this big girl?

Thanks again,
Becky
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Emoore's method is one of the ones i highly suggest. Shelby is a jumper as well but she's learning that unless she's sitting and CALM, no dinner. No car rides. no fun. not a darn thing for her until she behaves and if she doesnt behave, into her crate she goes until she's calm and WAITS until the crate door is open and she is released. if for even a second her butt pops up and her head even pokes out of the crate before she's released, the door gets closed until she's sitting and calm again. Persistance. They're smart dogs and will eventually give in because they know if they want something, they have to listen to you. Another method you can try is tether her to you. When you head to the door, the minute she goes to jump thinking she gets what she wants, turn and walk the opposite direction when you get to the door and she's no longer jumping, THEN make her sit and wait and implement Emoore's method.

also if the prong collar isn't properly fitted.... guess what! it wont work. have a trainer help you properly fit the prong and it should help as well. make her work for EVERYTHING she wants.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Stogey - great idea & I've tried it, but guess I'm either not quick enough or firm enough. I also have a temporary colostomy following a battle with cancer last year: I'm fearful of her yanking the bag off (yuck) or causing a hernia...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Knighted Member

I can just about promise she won't be biting or mouthing you if you hold her front feet,,,,,she will cry for you to let go.

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

It is absolutely a battle of stubbornness. The first time I tried this with Cash it took us nearly 30 minutes to get out the door. I'd take a step towards the door and he'd go nuts. I'd stand there and stare at him until he was calm. Take another step, he goes nuts. I stand there and stare until he calms down. Eventually, we got out the door with him being somewhat calm. The next day it took more like 10 minutes. The day after that was 5 minutes. And within a week, he'd figured out that the best way to keep this crazy woman moving was to stay calm.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike K
When ever I have a dog who likes to jump up and refuses to listen to the command of sit etc.
I will grab his front leg’s gently hold them and reach out with my foot and step lightly on their rear foot not to hurt them, they just plain don’t like the feeling of being held up front and touched on the back feet at the same time, it works, doesn’t hurt them, but it has always worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page