is training really that important? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

is training really that important?

i have a 5 and a half month old german shepherd. ive trained him to do the basics like;sit,stay(only for a little bit),lie down,shake,hi five, and up. now im not sure, should i still get him professionally trained or is that good enough? and if yes then what kind of training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 PM

if you have a purebred why wouldn't you use your dog to his full potential? plus giving them "tasks" will keep there noses and paws from getting into things they shouldn't be...

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

well he is purebred but another thing is that im a lil short on money. how much is the average cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

You certainly don't need to send him away to some professional trainer, but taking training classes together is an excellent way to improve your bond with your dog and allow him to use his intelligence and drive in a productive way not to mention proofing him with distractions. You can usually find group classes in obedience, agility, fun tricks, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

What does being purebred have anything to do with?

Training classes are pretty cheap. You can probably get in a 8 week program for like $100-$150. I forget the going rate, but i'm sure it's not too much for your basic class.

It's not just about training, but about socialization. Your puppy gets to meet all different types of people and dogs. It's just all around good for them. It helps your puppy bond with you and listen to you under certain distraction he may not face if you were training just you and him.

Plus training is a never ending process. Lucy's almost 3 and we still practice her sit, stay, heel and so on. It's a never ending process and can always improve.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Emoore;1951031]You certainly don't need to send him away to some professional trainer, but taking training classes together is an excellent way to improve your bond with your dog and allow him to use his intelligence and drive in a productive way not to mention proofing him with distractions. You can usually find group classes in obedience, agility, fun tricks, etc.[/

by some classes you mean like the ones at petsmart and stuff?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
What does being purebred have anything to do with?

Training classes are pretty cheap. You can probably get in a 8 week program for like $100-$150. I forget the going rate, but i'm sure it's not too much for your basic class.

It's not just about training, but about socialization. Your puppy gets to meet all different types of people and dogs. It's just all around good for them. It helps your puppy bond with you and listen to you under certain distraction he may not face if you were training just you and him.

Plus training is a never ending process. Lucy's almost 3 and we still practice her sit, stay, heel and so on. It's a never ending process and can always improve.

trainig classes like at petsmart and stuff?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

Petsmart classes are the Wal-Mart of training classes. If you've got a training club or training school nearby you're better off with one of those.

Looks like you have a place in Stockton called Guaranteed Dog Training that offers obedience, rally, and agility classes. That looks like the kind of place I would check out.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsir View Post
trainig classes like at petsmart and stuff?
Just doing a quick google search:

Guaranteed Dog Training - Training Dogs Since 1975 - A Trained Dog is a Happy Dog!

Stockton Dog Trainer-Stockton, California obedience and behavioral expert STOCKTON.

I'd give each a call. I've never done petsmart classes, but haven't heard the best things about them. Petsmart is still probably better than nothing though.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Just doing a quick google search:

Guaranteed Dog Training - Training Dogs Since 1975 - A Trained Dog is a Happy Dog!

Stockton Dog Trainer-Stockton, California obedience and behavioral expert STOCKTON.

I'd give each a call. I've never done petsmart classes, but haven't heard the best things about them. Petsmart is still probably better than nothing though.
thank you very very much for the links theyve helped me alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page