17 week old tracking on her own - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

17 week old tracking on her own

Hello everyone. Though this is not my first German Shepherd it is my first post on here
Anyway I have a 17 week old female. I noticed about a week ago that upon letting her outside she immediately puts her nose to the ground and tracks really fast around our property. (We have an acre lot all around our house that is fenced in) She moves VERY fast while she does it. At first I wasn't sure what she was doing but after paying attention to where she goes I know this is what she is doing. If I let my older dog out first, she will track his exact movements as with us, the family or a car that just drove down the drive. She loves to also track the squirrels that have been out and about in our property and find them in one of the many pecan tress we have on the property. I've never had a dog do this behavior and thought that you had to "teach" them to track.
Should I somehow encourage this tracking behavior and if so how do I do it?
Thanks for your input,
Squeaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM

You can try teaching her how to track the human scent. If you get a bug sprayer (never used before) from like a home depot. Fill it with distilled water and spray it out in front of you as you walk. Usually start on concrete so that they learn the smell before adding a bunch of different variables in. Take about 10-15 steps. Lay down a tasty treat similar to the color of the concrete about every step and a bigger pile at the end. The more you work the longer you can make it, spacing out treats and making curves and angles..You can add in vegetation etc later after she has figured this out. If she gets off the track let her find her way back on..I usually dont talk to my dogs when they are training until the very end unless they get WAY OFF course..I try to let them find the scent again by themselves. Good luck Would love to hear everyone else's suggestions as well

Inka Vom Kleinen Hain
Izaak GSD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM

my guys only 8 weeks..well almost 9 now...2 nights ago i brought him out before bed to potty...he started to wonder away from me so i ran around the corner of my house...I was standing in the pitch dark out of sight...i heard a couple barks...then a few seconds later here he is rounding the corner nose to the ground sniffing around a few feet infront of me then eventually right up to my feet...I was impressed..i had only had him 3 days!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Thats awesome !! I cant wait to get my puppy next year and start doing all that work!!!!!!!! I think we need puppy pics of both of these two future trackers!!!

Inka Vom Kleinen Hain
Izaak GSD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Wow that is impressive. I suppose the breed is just good at tracking and that is why they use German Shepherd for this purpose.
This breed really astounds me how willing and able they are to work!
What an awesome breed.
I am going to do some of the tracking with treats around our property and see how she does.

Last edited by squeakermama; 11-04-2010 at 02:46 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Not quite sure yet how to post pics.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM

One ears flopped forward the other is sideways..soo funny...here is a pic of him at 6 weeks BOth ears were standing tall

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Oh he is so cute! Look at those pointy ears
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Elite Member

Puppy pics!

But yeah, I'd not only encourage the tracking but think about entering the pup in tracking competitions and stuff once you train him to track the way you want.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

I am most def going to do SchH with my guy...I think he has strong backgrounds in german and czech working lines and he is showing some great characteristics!

I cant wait for his ears to stand back up...is it true that excercising their jaw helps speed up the process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page