CGC & feet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

CGC & feet

7-month old Panzer is currently taking CGC classes. The hardest part he's having with the training is the examining of his feet! Last night the trainer asked if he had hurt his right paw because Panzer definately didn't want it examined. Walking through a crowd, distractions, supervised separation, sit/stay - all good - touching the feet, no thanks!

So, we're going to work on teaching him to shake. Any other suggestions also welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Elite Member

This is a very common issue with GSDs. What are you doing so far?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Master Member

How does he do when you trim his nails?

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

So far? Not much. We've always tried to touch his feet since he was a young pup, but still he prefers not to have them touched, and until now, there hasn't been much of an occasion to have to force the issue. His nails seem to stay worn down from walking and playing at the dog park, so nail trimming hasn't really been a factor. I'm sure he will need his nails trimmed during the winter months though, so we do need to get this mastered!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Master Member

I started my pup when he would be just laying quietly next to me, I would rub on his shoulder and progress gradually down his leg a little further each day. He's 6 months now and lays quietly for me to trim his nails and such.
The thing I did learn was it didn't do any good to start this if he was all hyped up and wanted to play. So I made sure this was something we worked on at night when he was just laying next to me.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Good luck with it Veronica. As you know, Karlo hates his feet touched.
When I did the CGC class/test with Onyx, the evaluator never touched her feet, she had me pick them up for inspection(she was afraid of GSD's according to my class instructor, and didn't want to be near Onyx's face) she did brush her quickly though.
Most of the time I think the evaluators just brush over them, but each one is different. I doubt he will fail the CGC because he balks at having his feet touched. I'd let the trainer work with him next class and see if he feels this is a deal breaker on getting passed. Some dogs just hate to have their feet messed with.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

I've never heard of the CGC checking their feet so this is new to me...

Are you sure they do?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program
Test 3: Appearance and grooming
This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so. It also demonstrates the owner's care, concern and sense of responsibility. The evaluator inspects the dog to determine if it is clean and groomed. The dog must appear to be in healthy condition (i.e., proper weight, clean, healthy and alert). The handler should supply the comb or brush commonly used on the dog. The evaluator then softly combs or brushes the dog, and in a natural manner, lightly examines the ears and gently picks up each front foot. It is not necessary for the dog to hold a specific position during the examination, and the handler may talk to the dog, praise it and give encouragement throughout

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-03-2010 at 09:11 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Knighted Member

Touch and treat with lots of yay's every time, over and over. Start with very brief touches and once he's good with that hold it a few seconds. He will start to associate getting his feet touched with good things (treats). Make it a really yummy special treat...could be specific to just this exercise.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes, the appearance & grooming test looks at each ear, each front paw and brushing. It's all pretty quick and the handler is allowed to hold the dog's foot up for the paw examination, but even that was met with resistance. The goal is to make sure the dog would accept examination from a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page