Need help with Fetch - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Need help with Fetch

Hi all,

So I've been working with Cody on fetch...sounds silly right?

I throw the ball, he always goes and gets it, but then typically runs past me with it and sort of circles me while chewing it.

So....I starting bringing treats with me. I'll hold it out and sometimes add the "come" command when he's on his way back with the ball. about half the time this works, and he comes right to me, I say "drop it", ball falls out, treat goes in and all is well.

other times, im holding the treat out, and he sort of circles me and then will often times drop the ball about 5 feet out of my reach. then if i start walking to it, a lot of times he'll grab it again and keep circling.

How do I get him to come directly to me and drop it at my feet? is my treat idea good?

Do you think he's getting tired, and that's why he circles with the ball or drops it away from me? He might not want me to throw it again right away...

Thanks for your thoughts ( oh, he's about 1 y/o and is healthy / gets lots of exercise overall)

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 AM

Kali does the same thing! I'm trying the same thing you are, but keeping a long leash on her. Whenever she does the "circling", I kind of give her a little tug towards me. She'll usually get the hint and come drop off the ball. I'll then give her the treat and some praise. We're still working on it though....
Good Luck.

Kali's best friend... Jonny Rico
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

Ozzy used to do that all the time, and still does every now and then. I taught him to bring the ball to me with Sania, our ball-crazed lab. She brings it right back to me every time.

I will not go after the ball for Ozzy. If he wants me to throw his ball, he has to put it where I can reach it, no problem. Sania was like a 'teaser' to him. If his ball was out of my reach, I wouldn't bother with it. I'd throw Sania's ball, and he'd see her playing, so he'd get his ball and drop it right next to me.

He still sometimes drops it behind me though. It doesn't bother me, as long as I can reach it without having to get up.

ETA: When I don't have Sania with me (which is seldom now), we'll just sit there until he brings the ball to me. He eventually gets bored and will give it to me. When he does, he stalks his ball, pounces on it, and I say, "Get the ball!" So hopefully he'll be able to do it on command here pretty soon. lol

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

He he. I had to work on this too. I tried both those things and Max would turn the game around into how he could control things. Very frustrating! What I did was 2 things:1- use 2 favorite toys that you "exchange". For example 2 squeekies so that you can throw one and lure him back to you with the other, refusing to throw it until he drops the first.
2- If he goofs around and tries to get the game turned into tug or "chase me" by dropping the the toy and grabbing when you go for it, turn around and walk away until he picks up the toy and brings it to you.
Good luck- I was surprised that it took so long to get a dog into fetch but we know GSD pups aren't ordinary dogs, eh? Now he loves it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Knighted Member

Not silly at all. this is my thread from a LONG time ago. I STILL can't really play fetch with Jake....I just tried this morning! LOL

This thread has some great stuff about using two balls etc...hope it helps.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ont-fetch.html

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Like Kris said, he's trying to control the game. If you are confident he knows what's expected, then be patient. Wait him out and he'll eventually bring it to you. Also try backing up as he approaches you. That will bring him into position in front of you. Keep it fun
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Master Member

Yep ..... DJ does the same thing ! He wants to play keep away ! Especially with his Frisbee, don't know why that is but, other toys I can usually get him to " drop it " on the second or third command. His Frisbee ? He'll " drop it " when he's DOG GONE READY !!!

I've also started to make him sit before I give him the drop it command that usually works first crack ... again except for his DOG GONE FRISBEE !!!

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thanks all for the info!

the 2 ball thing sounds good... could work better than my treat idea.

Renee thanks for sharing the link.

Konastashi, i've done the whole "im not gonna walk to it stand off" too. but when i take him to play fetch i cant wait 5 minutes in between each toss or we'd be out there for days lol

sounds like im not alone though lol... im glad he's got the drive. and always gives chase. Mandi will just stand there and I have to go get the ball haha

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Two ball is a wonderful thing. You should have two identical balls - or they decide they like one better and quit - throw one and as he gets close, you throw the other one in the other direction. Quickly pick up the first one and repeat. You would be surprised at how fast they get and it's exhausting for you as you have to be really fast grabbing the dropped ball before they get back.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

Yes-I consider bending down and picking up fetch toys part of my daily exercise routine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page