he keeps biting (attempting) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

he keeps biting (attempting)

my 5 and a half month German shepherd "rocky" just wont stop attacking/snapping his jaw at me. i mean he's a good dog. its just that every now and then when im outside just playing with him he'll start biting me(mostly my shorts). ive tried many things but nothing seems to work. all i can do is just leave him alone. any advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

When you are outside playing, what are you doing w/ him? Do you play fetch w/ him? Is he in any classes?
Tug at his age is a no-no because of teething, so redirecting his mouth to something other than you is what I would do. How old was he when you got him? There is a "sticky" on bite inhibition, that is full of good advice/info.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

Since you are a new poster, I will not make any nasty comments about shorts in CA, when it is about 34 degerees here, LOL!

Little land sharks, yes they are.

Be consistant and calm. You can say "Eh! no bite." and remove your shorts from where he can latch on, and ignore the puppy for a few minutes. As soon as he plays rough, game over. He WANTS to play. He will learn that when he bites down, the game is over. He will get it.

A lot of people swear by the distract him to an appropriate chew object. I do not know how this would not be a reward for biting. But GSDs are generally smarter than we are and can figure out the difference even if it is not apparent to us.

When my pups are chewing, I make sure there are bones and ropes, and sometimes frozen ropes for them to work their teeth on, because they have to chew.

You can say, "Ouch, those are MY fingers, THIS is your chewie." And give him the chewie.

I also teach my pups GENTLE. I do it with a treat, and I make them take the treat NICE or GENTLE. Starting with the treat in the open palm, and as they get that, I move it to my fist, when they are good at being careful taking it from my fist, I will move it to betweein the thumb and first finger. This is a great target for dogs to get fingers too. But EVERYONE that will offer your dog a treat will do it this way. So it is good to teach him to take it GENTLE. Once they will stop themselves and noticeably be careful when taking the treat, when you remind them GENTLE.

Then you can apply GENTLE to other things, like the baby. GENTLE with the BABY. It reminde an exhuberant puppy to slow down and be careful.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You can say "Eh! no bite." and remove your shorts

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Knighted Member

Jake is 8 months and when he is excited he still mouths and nips....except now it's with REAL teeth....
I always say.....GENTLE...I think it's a great way to teach them it's ok to use their mouth but they must be in control and calm...I feel there is no way for Jake not to ever use his mouth. JMHO

I can't imagine a time where Jake's mouth won't be open

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

LOL!!!!

That really does sound pretty bad!

So quit talking about shorts in November!!!

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You can say "Eh! no bite." and remove your shorts
No pants eh? Sounds like a party!

Ze'eva Li'ora - GSD 06/26/2010 [SAR/Wilderness Air Scent]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
When you are outside playing, what are you doing w/ him? Do you play fetch w/ him? Is he in any classes?
Tug at his age is a no-no because of teething, so redirecting his mouth to something other than you is what I would do. How old was he when you got him? There is a "sticky" on bite inhibition, that is full of good advice/info.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nhibition.html
usually ill just sit down on a swing we have and he'll come close to me. then he'll start jumping on me . then he starts runing around. next thing you know ill be walking around in my backyard and he'll comeout of no where and grab my shorts. sometimes i think it just because he's teething
and why shouldnt i play tug. i thought that was supposed to satisfy him when his teeth hurt.
he was 11 weeks when i got him.
more help would be appreciated. i plan on keeping this dog for the rest of my life but if i cant change him im going to have to give him away to my cousin but anyways your help is appreciated.
thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Since you are a new poster, I will not make any nasty comments about shorts in CA, when it is about 34 degerees here, LOL!

Little land sharks, yes they are.

Be consistant and calm. You can say "Eh! no bite." and remove your shorts from where he can latch on, and ignore the puppy for a few minutes. As soon as he plays rough, game over. He WANTS to play. He will learn that when he bites down, the game is over. He will get it.

A lot of people swear by the distract him to an appropriate chew object. I do not know how this would not be a reward for biting. But GSDs are generally smarter than we are and can figure out the difference even if it is not apparent to us.

When my pups are chewing, I make sure there are bones and ropes, and sometimes frozen ropes for them to work their teeth on, because they have to chew.

You can say, "Ouch, those are MY fingers, THIS is your chewie." And give him the chewie.

I also teach my pups GENTLE. I do it with a treat, and I make them take the treat NICE or GENTLE. Starting with the treat in the open palm, and as they get that, I move it to my fist, when they are good at being careful taking it from my fist, I will move it to betweein the thumb and first finger. This is a great target for dogs to get fingers too. But EVERYONE that will offer your dog a treat will do it this way. So it is good to teach him to take it GENTLE. Once they will stop themselves and noticeably be careful when taking the treat, when you remind them GENTLE.

Then you can apply GENTLE to other things, like the baby. GENTLE with the BABY. It reminde an exhuberant puppy to slow down and be careful.
i try my hardest to do the baby talk(rocky..... let go.)
but he just doesnt want to listen.
usually i have to grab him by the collar and just leave him alone outside.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
Jake is 8 months and when he is excited he still mouths and nips....except now it's with REAL teeth....
I always say.....GENTLE...I think it's a great way to teach them it's ok to use their mouth but they must be in control and calm...I feel there is no way for Jake not to ever use his mouth. JMHO

I can't imagine a time where Jake's mouth won't be open
i try that alot but just doesnt seem to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page